Sunday, August 17, 2008

Homemade Egg Noodles and Chicken, Tuesday Night.


Hi Friends,

This is hearty, easy, and freezes GREAT. This can easily be modified to make a larger batch if you are feeding a big crew.

What you will need for the noodles:
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 cup of whole-wheat flour
A little bit of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 tablespoons of softened butter (We use unsalted, but you can use either)

What you will need for the meal:
Chicken ( I used frozen chicken breast and it was tasty)
Carton of Chicken Broth


I love making my own noodles. They are always a work in progress, but there is a real joy in creating our food with my own hands. For me there is also a bit of stress relief in working with dough.

Step one: Take butter out of your fridge and let 2 tablespoons soften. Meanwhile, clear off counter space, get out some wax paper if you have it, and sing a silly song with your kids.

Step two: In a good size bowl that you like add your flour and make a nice little hole in the middle. Put your eggs, milk, butter and salt into the hole. Stir it up good.

Step three: Put of big pot of water on the stove to boil.

Step four: Take your dough and place it on a clear surface. I like to use wax paper that has a touch of flour on it. I find the dough does not stick so much.

Step five: Roll the dough out until it is thin. I have a hard time with this and get a bit impatient. My egg noodles tend to be a bit fat but my family rather likes them this way. You be the judge and test this out for yourself.

Step six: Once you have the dough rolled out take a pizza cutter and cut your noodles. Add them bit by bit into a your pot of boiling water. Putting them in already boiling water helps them not stick together.

Add chicken and broth to your noodles and boil until it is nice and tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

I served this meal with a side dish of blackberries for all.

Overall rating: Thumbs up.
Leftover factor: We have two tupperware dishes full of leftovers which I froze and will use another time.

1 comment:

Sarah Anne said...

I am so trying this recipe this week. I have celery too, that would be good in it also! :<)