Monday, September 8, 2008

Out of the Box (and sometimes book) Mommy

My week is next. Here is a little bit about myself:
I love to experiment with all different kinds of recipes. I have been blessed with a very easy-going husband, who will eat just about anything I put in front of him. While he is not picky, there are certain meals that I cook that get me a wink across the table and others that we just choose not to talk about. My husband and I have two children. Keely eats homemade baby food and is still nursing. Preston is a two year old and would prefer that we eat Lucky Charms, suckers, and chocolate all day long. When planning for a week's worth of groceries, we have decided that it works best for us to work in a couple of meals that take time and several meals that take less than 10 minutes to prepare. (Can't go wrong with PB &J) On the nights I feel inspired I go all out and prepare a meal that I am excited about and sometimes even light a candle and play music, but you can bet the next night we'll be eating something very simple, cooking out of the box, I like to call it. I don't have a problem with hamburger helper and frozen pizzas (especially if it cost us less than $2 to feed our family) but I must mix it up with a thought out home cooked meal every once in a while to keep from getting bored. I have found over the last few years that I get really excited about one cookbook and cook several recipes from it, and then I put it away for a while and forget about it again. I cook out of a large library of cookbooks that I personally own, but I also enjoy getting creative when I find it necessary to substitute ingredients. I am hoping that by sharing this blog you will be inspired to cook meals for your family, but I am also hoping that as I take pictures of our meals, I will be inspired to make them look more fun. I would like to see our darling two year old gobble down "real" food because it looks like it should be fun to eat, and stop begging for candy as soon as we are done eating. :) Okay, dear friends, prepare to salivate. We've got a meal to plan!

1 comment:

Tami said...

I really like your ideas. I'm looking forward to checking back often to see what's next on the menu. I'm adding your blog to my favorites list, I hope that you will take a look at blog.

Happy Cooking!