Sunday, October 26, 2008

Bonus: Making Pumpkin Puree

Most of you probably know how to do this already. As I am early on in my quest to become more self-sufficient this is the first year I have said "no" to canned foods and made everything fresh even down the pumpkin. This was so easy, actually a bit fun, and has yielded several delicious recipies for our family.

Here is what you do with a pumpkin, which by the way are staring to go on sale now all over the place.

1. Find a pumpkin patch and pick out several pumpkins. Choose a pumpkin this is not

2. Go home and have some fun cleaning out the pumpkin guts! Make sure to save all of the seeds. I started by using a big spoon to clean as much of the guts out as I could.
too big for your "puree" pumpkin.



3. Cut your pumpkin in half and continue cleaning it up.




4. Cut your pumpkin into smaller pieces and place them on a baking sheet (or two!)




5. Place your pumpkin (with skin on) into the oven at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the pumpkin looks soft and golden.




6. Remove the pumpkin pieces. Let them cool for a moment. Remove the skin, it peels right off the back!

7. Place your pumpkin into a food processor and blend into a nice puree is formed.




8. Place your puree into seperate bags/tupperware and freeze. This puree will last several months in your freezer and is going to be used to make all sorts of yummy things in the coming weeks.


Now, clean off your pumpkin seeds. Even clean they will remain slimy.



Place them on a baking sheet and let them sit overnight.



The next day sprinkle them with olive oil, salt, pepper and seasonings of your choice and bake them!


MMMMMM, yum!

2 comments:

MommaHughes said...

Wow!! What a great resource!! I also have heard of taking the pumpkin and putting it in a glass container with water and microwaving it to cook the pumpkin (and then remove skin and so on) It does freeze well. Your way would probably freeze better because you would not have excess water. Love the pic of you sitting with your pumpkin! You're adorable.

The Keevy Family said...

I really like this idea. I am on this kick to make pumpkin lattes at home and whatever else I can find to do with them! Thanks for your post. I tried making your pumpkin puree today and it worked pretty well. I would advise covering the pumpkin with foil and adding a little water to the pan if it will hold it. Mine turned out a little brown on the tips from not covering it.
I linked to your site from mine on my "pumpkin latte" post today. You can find it at: alltogetherbeautiful.blogspot.com.