You are reading the words of a proud momma! I can not believe that I actually made gnocci and it turned out. But, it really did turn out. It was easy and so yummy. Even my incredibly picky husband helped himself to seconds.
I encourage you to try this unique Italian dish.
Gnocci is a noodle resembling a dumpling. It is made with potatoes, egg and flour.
Here is what you will need:
3 Potatoes (Yukon Gold are great!)
1/2 cup of flour (plus a couple pinches extra)
What to do:
1. Peel your potatoes!
2. Place them into boiling water and cook for 30 minutes. They are ready when you can poke a fork through them.
3. Remove them from the water and let cool.
4. Butter a baking dish and set aside.
5. If you have a potato ricer you are lucky! You will need to use it now to mush up your potatoes. If you do not, like me, you will get an chance to work out all your stress by forcing the softened potatoes through a sieve with a large spoon. This worked really well and it was worth the efforts!
6. Now, add the following to your potatoes: 1/2 cup of flour, salt, pepper, parmesean cheese and one egg. Mix together.
7. It will become a dough like this picture below. Kneed it for one minute, make sure you flour your hands and kneed this on a floured surface.
8. Divide your dough into four parts. Roll out each piece until it looks like a little gnocci snake. (about 3/4 inches thick). See that little hand in the picture? That is my two year old son. He was helping Mommy with the dough.
9. Cut the dough using a knife into little pieces. I like to take a fork and make little divits into each piece. I do not think this is a must.
10. Now, doing a few at at time, place the gnocci dough into boiling water. Stay right by it! The gnocci will cook within just a minute. It will rise to the top of the water. Allow it to boil at the top of the water for 1 additional minute. You do not want to over boil these dumplings otherwise they will fall apart.
11. Take your cooked gnocci noodles and layer them with marinara sauce, oregano, and cheese~ really soak them into the sauce! Place them into the oven for 20 minutes and enjoy!
This was such a nice alternative to spagehtt and it was really delicious.