Friday, October 17, 2008

Friday: Vegetable Cheese Soup w/ Homeade Bread

This is one of my absolute comfort, yummy fall meals that is SO QUICK AND EASY! Enjoy!

Here is what you need for the cheese soup:

1 package of mixed veggies (I like California blend), 3/4 lb velveeta cheese, 2 cans chicken broth and 1-2 cans cream of chicken soup (note this is optional, the cream of chicken soup makes the soup itself creamy and thicker)

Step 1: Place the frozen veggies and 2 cans of chicken broth in a large pot on medium-high heat.

Step 2: Cook until boiling and until veggies are tender. (about 10 minutes)

step 3: cut up your 3/4 block of velveeta cheese into cubes

Step 4: Once your veggies are nice and soft, mash them a bit w/ a potato masher.

Step 5: Add your cheese to the soup mixture, turn heat DOWN to medium low heat and CONTINUE STIRRING until all the cheese is melted and you take it off the burner. If you stop stirring or cook it too high, you will notice it will start burning on the bottom and your soup will have a burnt taste to it. It's very important that you cook it (once the cheese is added) at a low temperature and continue stirring!

Step 6: Once the cheese is melted, add your cream of chicken soup (1 or 2 cans depending on how thick you like your soup). Keep stirring! Once everything is warm and melted, it is ready to serve!

Step 7: We paired our soup w/ a Ceasar Salad and Store bought French bread. I know, I know I said it would be homeade bread ( I still posted the recipe for this below). Here's the deal- Sometimes when you meal plan, things come up and the meal doesn't always go as planned. My mom celebrated her birthday this week and she requested this meal. Since I already had all the ingredients, I decided to make it for her! No time to make the homeade bread, but store bought french bread is cheap and great to dip in the soup!

Happy Birthday , Mom!

Cost of Cheese Soup and bread: $8.00

Cost for a family (feeds 8): $1.00 per person


Homeade french bread:

Here is what you need: 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. water, 2 tsp butter or maragarine, softened, 3 1/3 cups flour, 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1 1/2 tsp salt, 2 1/2 tsp. yeast

Step 1:
Place ingredients into bread pan in the following order: water, butter, bread flour, sugar and salt.

Step 2:
With your finger, make a small indentation on one side of the flour and add yeast (make sure yeast does not come into contact w/ the liquid ingredients.

Step 3: insert bread pan into breadmaker and close lid.

Step 4: Press Start and enjoy!

3 comments:

TRUNNELL NEWS said...

When did you add your cream of chicken soup to the mixture.

Sarah Anne said...

Great question! Sorry I forgot to include that part. I added the cream of chicken soup at the very end after adding the cheese. I only added 1 can, but some like to add 2 cans depending on how thick you like it! Thanks for your question, I will be sure to go back and edit my recipe to include that information.

Jenny said...

Wow! I just found your blog and I love it! I can't wait to try out this soup recipe. I love how you include pictures for the recipe along with price per person. I am really trying to decrease our food budget.

Will be trying out many of your recipes in the upcoming weeks. Thanks!