Monday, April 13, 2009

Monday: Calzones

Today we are making Calzones. This is a super easy, very frugal recipe that you can use for lunch, dinner or even breakfast! This recipe freezes well (after cooking) and works great for leftovers.

Here is what you need:

Refrigerated pizza dough (click on coupons.com on our sidebar to get a great coupon for Pillsbury pizza dough), 1 jar pizza sauce, pizza cheese and toppings


Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then, roll out your pizza dough onto your pan and cut into 6 squares.

Step 2: Add a couple of spoonfuls of pizza sauce on each square and spread out evenly.

Step 3: Add a handful of cheese to each calzone.

Step 4: Add your toppings. We go simple to save $$$ and just use pepperoni.

Step 5: Pinch the corners of each square until they are sealed.

Step 6: Place in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes.

Step 7: Enjoy!


If you have leftovers, these freeze great or just stick in the fridge for lunch tomorrow.

Here are a couple of different ways to spice up your calzones: ham and cheese; eggs, cheese and sausage; mexican style (taco meat, cheese veggies).

I would love to hear your other great ideas for calzone fillings. Post a comment and let me know!

Cost of meal for a family of 6: $4.50

Cost per person: 75 cents

9 comments:

Livin Life 13 Weeks At a Time said...

I am going to make these this week, thanks for the great idea!

My husband wants me to put pepperoni, mushrooms and olives in...mmmm

Carey said...

I made these for dinner tonight, and I just had to come tell you how delicious they were! Even my picky 12-year-old loved them! I made mine with taco-seasoned ground beef sauteed with onion, taco sauce instead of pizza sauce, and Mexican blend shredded cheese. Then we dipped them in sour cream and salsa. The best part is how unexpectedly LIGHT they are! Calzones are usually so heavy and filling, but these were perfect. Thank you so much for such fabulous meal ideas!

Carey @ WAHM Solo
http://wahmsolo.blogspot.com

Sarah said...

This recipe is so good and easy! I first saw it in the Kraft Food and Family magazine. I made mine with turkey and shredded cheese mixed with a little ranch dressing. They were very yummy! I love this blog!!!

SuperWOHM said...

I've used crecent rolls to do the same and they're tasty :)I buy the generic ones.

reikifeet said...

thanks for this -- my fridge is packed with pizza dough, because the store dang near paid me to take it away a couple weeks ago!!

we've been making a foccacia sort of thing -- just spreading it out on a cookie sheet, smearing w/ olive oil, topping w/ herbs & cheese (our fave is cheddar w/ penzey's northwoods fire) and baking til done!

one of my friends just baked it plain and used for homemade hummus. it was good!

jsprik said...

yummy!! gonna have to try this one!! thanks for all the great recipes, i use them all the time!!

The Wilcoxson's said...

I like mine with chicken in a cream cheese sauce. Cream cheese, butter, onion and salt and pepper melted and then mixed with the chicken.

Ashley said...

These are super good and even I (the very inexperienced cook) can do this with no trouble! Plus you can make them a little different every time.

Carolyn said...

We like to make them with cream cheese inside along with whatever pizza toppings you like (sausage, olives, pepperoni, & cheese for me!) and then we serve them with the marinara sauce on the side for dipping. It keeps the sauce from making the crust soggy while cooking.