Saturday, October 11, 2008

Saturday: Butternut Squash Pasta

Happy Saturday. This is so easy it will not take away from your weekend fun at all!

This was a test recipe in honor of fall and the many beautiful squash that can be found at local farms and in the grocery store.
We like the recipe, but would like to make it again and use different spices. We felt like it was a little bland and could use a kick or too!
But, it is super simple and can be a fun family experiment so give it a try.

What you will need:
Squash (I cheated and used frozen squash because it was almost free at meijer the other day and I wanted to use it.)
1/2 cup of whole cream (you should already have this if you made yesterdays meal).
Any kind of noodles
Spices: chili powder, cinnamon
Sugar
I would suggest some nutmeg and sage, perhaps?

Step one:
Place your squash into a little olive oil in a pan and heat.

Step two:
Add your spices and continue to heat.

Step three:
Add 1/2 cup of cream and stir. Continue to heat.





I suggest tasting it, adding some salt and pepper and spicing it up anyway you see fit! I ended up adding a lot of cinnamon and chili powder. I wish I had nutmeg and sage. I have a feeling that would be good.

Step four:
Serve over your noodles and eat!



This sauce freezes very well for future use. I think it would be great to use as a filling in ravioli. I will test this out for you all in a couple of weeks!

By the way this was a very frugal and healthy meal!

*******If you are using fresh squash, which I highly suggest this season, you will need to peal, cut it up, rub olive oil and spices on it and roast it until mushy. Then follow the directions above.********

No comments: