Friday, October 31, 2008

Saturday: Home Made Whole Wheat Pizza

Well, I have done it. My first real true official FLOP!

Our little family is on the search for our favorite pizza dough and I this was NOT it. I will present to you what I did, with pictures and then provide you with an alternative.


MY FLOP:
3/4 cup of water
2 tbs olive oil
1 cup white flour
1 cup wheat flour
1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp yeast
2 tbsp milled flax seed (my secret healthy ingredient)
Seasonings

I put all of the above into a breadmaker and set it on the dough setting.
This dough was dry and although the pizza was edible it did not taste great.
And, home made pizza should taste great!


Here is a dough recipe we have used in the past and liked. I recommend this one and will share a new one next time around.

What to do:

1. Place the following into your bread maker and set on the dough setting.
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
1 tablespoon of your favorite pizza seasoning
4 teaspoons fast rise yeast
2 tablespoons of milled flax seed


2. In the mean time take a little bit of cornmeal and sprinkle it onto your pizza pan.

3. When the dough is ready cover it and place it in a warm place for 30 minutes to rise.


4. Roll it out and put your toppings on!

5. Bake for 25-35 minutes at 350 degrees.


TOPPINGS

Canned Tomato Sauce
Cheese (Mozzerella and Paremesean)
Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Mushrooms
Bacon

You can, of course, add any toppings you like!

4 comments:

Satsuki said...

I was going through your recipes to find healthy ones to make. Is there a way you could include directions for people who don't have a breadmaker in the future? This would have been a bookmarked recipe for me otherwise.

Deanna said...

Can you omit the flax seeds?

Ethiopianmomma said...

Yes, you can omit the flax seed. I add flax to most everything I bake in terms of bread for a health benefit and it can be used as sub for unhealthy oils. This was not my favorite dough. I will be making another one later this week and posting it...I think it is going to come out great. I will be adding flax to it, but just ignore that if you don't like it. :)

Ethiopianmomma said...

Oh, yes....and....the pizza crust this week will be made without a bread maker too if that helps.