Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tuesday: Chicken Soup

I think that every family has a way of making chicken soup. I began making chicken soup this way when I was living in Ethiopia. I was able to purchase chicken, carrots, and potatoes very easily and grew to love this simple version of a hearty and healthy soup. I encourage you to take my idea and expand it any way that you and your family enjoy.

What you will need:
Chicken broth (frozen, canned, fresh, matters not!)
Chicken ( I used one very large chicken breast)
Carrots
Potatoes
Seasonings (I like oregano, salt, pepper, onion powder, bay leaves, garlic and thyme)

What you will need to do:
1. Begin by placing your uncooked chicken into your broth. You can always add water to this mixture if you feel that you do not have enough broth. The chicken, as it cooks, will create more taste.

2. Meanwhile, peel your carrots and chop them up however you desire. Wash and cut up your potatoes, but leave the peel on. This adds fiber to your meal.


3. Add your potatoes and carrots to your chicken broth. Continue cooking.

4. When your chicken is cooked, remove it from the broth and cut the meat off of the bone as desired. Place the meat into the soup and continue cooking.


5. Add your seasonings, cook for ten more minutes or until ready to eat!



The soup is finished when your chicken is cooked and your vegetables are tender.
Serve, relax, and enjoy.




This soup freezes very well.

2 comments:

Satsuki Rebel said...

Thank you so much for posting this recipe! As soon as my current cold is gone I'm going to go back and make a bunch to freeze.

Satsuki said...

Figured I'd go ahead and post and update- I went ahead and made this in my crockpot. I left out the potatoes but added celery and a bag of egg noodles. I used plenty of seasonings and ground pepper. The end result was a LOVELY chicken soup! The noodles melted from being overcooked but it still tasted great to me! ^^ (This can be avoided by cooking them on their own and adding them at the end.) I'm so glad I found this recipe!