Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Thursday: Vegetarian Chili and Cornbread

Oh my word. This was a new recipe and it was hearty and warm! I LOVE how healthy this meal was and the best part of it is that my husband did not even realize how packed this was with vegetables and beans.

Here is what you will need, but you can modify this any way you like:
1/2 Onion
2 Green Peppers
1 Jalapeno Pepper
3 (28 oz) cans of crushed tomatoes (or used self canned ones,even better!)
1 Cup Kidney Beans
1 Can Garbanzo Beans (Chick Peas)
1 Cup Black Beans


Now, this is important. You CAN use canned beans, I do not. If you use can beans you can skip step one. If you garden fresh beans or those from a bag remember to clean them, soak them, and boil them until tender. This means you must start your chili a couple of hours early.


When your beans are finished cooking allow them to sit for a minute while you blend the vegetables. Put them all together into your food processor to make a nice green spicy paste. OR you can chop them up, saute them a bit in a pan and add to the chili. I use the food processor so that my husband will eat the chili without any complaints!
Just look at these vegetables! (You will see mushrooms in my photo, I just happened to have some and added them).




Mix your green compote together with your beans and add your spices:
Cumin, 2 Bay Leaves, 1/4 cup of chili powder, Garlic cloves



Now, add your tomatoes! Stir.


Place your chili over cornbread and enjoy. Freeze any leftovers for another chilly fall day!


For my cornbread I use a iron skillet and this:

1 comment:

bobbi said...

saw you guys on guest post at moneysaving mom! =)