Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wednesday: Corn and Wild Rice Casserole

Let me just take a moment to tell you how I feel about this recipe~ YUMMMMMMY!!!!!
I am a Pioneer Woman fan and saw this recipe on her website. She uses this as a side dish during thanksgiving. We decided to use it as the main course and were so pleased with it.
*Forgive me for the lack of pictures, there are a few below. My camera went crazy and ate my memory card. Long story.

Here is what you will need:

Either six fresh cobs of corn OR a bag of frozen corn, no canned corn here!
2 eggs
Whole cream
Wild Rice (the real stuff)
Butter
Cayanne Pepper


What you will need to do:

1. Thank the pioneer woman for her amazing recipie!

2. Follow the instructions on your wild rice for cooking. If you have chicken broth I HIGHLY suggest cooking the wild rice in chicken brother rather than water. This gives it a really good flavor.
I just love the feel of raw foods. Look at this rice (actually, wild rice is a grass).






3. When your rice is cooked drain it and let it cool.

4. Beat your two eggs together and set them aside.

5. In a large bowl add your corn (if it was on the cob make sure you took it off the cob!) and 1 cup of cream, 1 stick of butter, and 1/4 tsp cayanne pepper and do not forget the salt. Now, add your eggs.

6. Stir in the cooled rice with the corn mixture and taste. Add more salt if you need more.

*If your mixture seems too thick you can add a little bit of milk.

7. Place in a buttered baking dish and using a spoon push the corn/rice down into the cream. Bake 350 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.


Enjoy!


We ate this meal with home made applesauce, homemade wheat bread and pumpkin butter. It was delicious. My husband suggested adding some chicken to the wild rice and corn casserole. I will try this next time around. If anyone does this please let me know how it turns out!

2 comments:

Carey said...

I have been trying to find the perfect unique Thanksgiving side dish. This is it! I just added it to my Thanksgiving to-do list! It looks delicious. Thank you!

Ethiopianmomma said...

Carey, I give all the credit here to the Pioneer Woman (www.pioneerwoman.com). She posted this dish, as well as many other delicious foods!
Glad you like it.