Sunday, November 23, 2008

Sunday: Sausage Gravy orver Biscuits

This is one of my husband's favorite meals (next to pizza), he got lucky this week I made 2 of his favorite meals in one week!

Sausage gravy can be a bit tricky to make and I continue to make improvements each time I make it. I would LOVE to hear your comments on this recipe!

Pictures, once again, will not upload onto blogger today. We seriously may be changing our webpage to a different "format"- Does anyone out there have a recommendation- WordPress or other?

Here is what you need:

Flour
Milk
Sausage
Salt and Pepper
Bisquick
Eggs

Step 1: Brown your sausage

Step 2: LEAVING THE GREASE IN THE PAN, use a spatula or slitted spoon to lift out the sausage to drain on a plate w/ a paper towel.

Step 3: Sprinkle about 1-2 tablespoons of flour onto the sausage grease and use a wisk until bubbly, keeping the temp. at med.-high. You can add more or less flour, depending on how much grease you have in your pan.

Step 4: Begin to add milk. I usually add about 2 cups at a time. (5 cups total)

Step 5: Keeping wisking to keep away those lumps!

Step 6: Add another 2 cups of milk and more flour (I added about 1/4 cup flour total)

Step 7: Add sausage and let sausage gravy simmer awhile. It will get thicker as it simmers

Step 8: Mix up your Bisquick biscuit and get those in the oven.

Step 9: Wisk your gravy more and determine if you need to add more milk/flour. We like our gravy pretty thick, but notice it really did not take much flour to get it thick. Only about 1/4 of a cup of flour was added. The reason I add so much milk is b/c I like to have more about twice as much gravy compared to the sausage.

*Frugal Tip- Make your gravy thick, but still add lots of milk so that you can use your gravy twice! The more "gravy" I make, the more meals I can use it for. So far we can stretch ours into about 3 meals. You can freeze sausage gravy (once it cools) to use later as well.

Step 10: Add salt and pepper. I usually add more pepper than I do salt b/c the sausage is salty. This is based on your taste, so get out a spoon and call in some taste testers into the kitchen!

Step 11: While you let your sausage gravy simmer and thicken, mix up your scrambled eggs.

Step 12: Take your biscuits and split in half, pour over gravy and add eggs. Congratulations, You have made a YUMMY, FRUGAL and HEALTHY meal for you family tonight!

*Note: We love to add gravy on our eggs as well!

Meal Cost for 4: $4.00 (not including staples like milk, flour, salt and pepper)
Per person: $1.00

Really- this is even less that I have listed here, b/c you can use your gravy for a 2nd or even 3rd meal!

Enjoy!

Remember: I really want to hear your comments. I would love some tips to make this recipe even better! Anybody have advice for keeping the lumps down?

Sorry again about the pictures, I know it's not as fun to read! Pictures will be up soon!

5 comments:

MommaHughes said...

I always melt a chicken bullion cube in about 2 Tbs. water and stir that into the gravy. It adds it a little more flavor that we like.

Scheezo said...

I made this exactly as you directed and it was really, really good. I added quite a bit of pepper, and it was as good as any sausage gravy I've ever eaten in a restaurant. (Cracker Barrel, specifically!) It was the three things that I look for in a great recipe: delicious, super easy, and super frugal. If I had known it was this easy to make, I would have made it a long time ago. Thanks for the recipe and instructions.

Jess B said...

I use Jimmy Dean country gravy mix. It's only 50 cents a package and comes out perfect every time.

Amy said...

I grew up NEVER eating sausage gravy (it just looked gross to me) but hearing everyone tell my mother hers was THE best they'd ever had. I tried hers once in my early 20's and realized it was amazing and spent the next few years trying to recreate it using her recipe, but my always tasted floury. Come to find out, I wasn't cooking the flour/grease mixture long enough. Here's my (mom's) recipe, with my notes to self to not screw it up: Put sausage in pan. Cover it with just enough oil to cover sausage and add lots of pepper. Cook until sausage is brown. Drain sausage while keeping oil in pan and add additional oil so that there is about an inch in the bottom of the pan. Add 8 tablespoons of flour over lowish heat. Cook (roue) until VERY brown (this cooks the flour taste out). Once very brown, add back in the sausage and stir in 8 cups of milk. Add more pepper to taste. Stir constantly. Gravy will slowly thicken to consistency desired. If gravy tastes like flour, roue was NOT cooked enough.

dilbertdoe said...

Very brown sausage gravy???? Not in my neck of the woods.