Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday: Cornbread crust pizza on the grill

This is one of my husband's favorite meals. Okay- it is his favorite! He LOVES anything to do with PIZZA. His mom made cornbread crust pizza for them growing up and he is a big fan! I am not a huge fan of the cornbread crust, but it's still pretty good.

*SORRY, NO PICTURES TODAY DUE TO BLOGGER'S SLOW RUNNING TIME. I WILL UPDATE WITH PICTURES AS SOON AS IT IS UP AND RUNNING FASTER.

I am going to do this recipe in 2 parts. The crust first and then on to the pizza toppings.

Here is what you need for the 2- 8'' pizza crusts:
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal *Frugal tip: once you buy a container of cornmeal for about $2.00, you will be able to use it to make several more pizza crust recipes in the future as well as homeade corn bread- YUM!)
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons olive oil

Here is what you need for your toppings:
1 Jar pizza sauce
2 cups shredded cheese
pizza toppings (we use pepperoni and mushrooms) *Frugal Tip: Use your leftover toppings from "build a pasta" that you made earlier this week! Also, check your local grocery store for manager special items in your produce section.

Cornbread pizza crust:

Step 1: Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl (cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt

Step 2: Mix Water and olive oil in a separate bowl

Step 3: Make a "well" in the center of the dry ingredients and add water/olive oil mixture

Step 4: Mix until soft dough ball forms

Step 5: Stick in refrigerator until ready to use!

Let's put it all together!

Step 1: Preheat your grill or oven (350 degrees) and then get your toppings ready! I like to pan fry my pepperoni until it is nice and crispy. Then I cooked my mushrooms until they were nice and soft. We bought a bag of cheese this time, so no cheese shredding needed! Remember, if you had ingredients leftover from your "build a pasta" this would be a great time to use them.

Step 2: Get your pizza dough out of the fridge and begin to form your mini pizza's or 1 medium size pizza. I usually make 2 mini pizzas by forming to small balls of dough and then stretching them until they are the size I want. Every once in awhile I try to do the fancy pizza crust toss into the air to see if it speeds the process up a bit.... it doesn't.

Step 3: Put your pizza crust on a pan and start with the sauce. Then pile on your toppings and last your cheese.

Step 4: If you are cooking on the Grill- place foil on the grill and slow cook your pizza until the cheese is hot and bubbly. I say slow cook b/c our grill burns the bottom of the pizza if we turn it up too high. If you are cooking using your oven, place the pizza(s) in the oven until hot and bubbly (about 10-12 minutes for a 8 inch pizza)

Step 5: Cut and ENJOY! Our family also likes to add parmesan cheese or french dressing to our pizza to us a dip!

Cost for 2 8'' pizzas- $3.50 (I was able to get the pepperoni on sale for $1.00 and I used mushrooms from build a pasta. We also had corn meal in our pantry.)

Cost per person- $1.75- Sure Beats Pizza Hut!


Sorry there were no pictures this time. Blogger is incredibly slow today and it would not let me download pics. I will add them when things are up and running again!

2 comments:

Megabyte said...

There's no cornmeal in the ingredients to know how much to mix in! oh no!

Megabyte said...

Just kidding! I found it! I'm excitedly making it now.