Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Tuesday: Roasted Vegetable Penne Pasta

I got this meal idea, and modified it a bit, out of a Country Living magazine. I will tell you in parenthesis what the magazine called for verses what I chose to do.
I would serve this meal again, especially when I need a quick casserole type of dish. I would however, add some additional spices such as cayenne pepper. It was just a tad bland.


What you will need:
1 pound tomatoes
6 cups of broccoli florets (I used carrots, corn, peas, and broccoli)
Olive Oil
3 Tbsp Butter
3 Tbsp Flour
4 cups of milk
2 1/2 cups of Asagio cheese, grated (I used an Italian shredded cheese mix)
2 1/2 cups of Cheddar cheese, grated
2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard ( I used mustard powder)
Salt and Pepper
Thyme
1 Pound COOKED and DRAINED Penne Pasta (I used wheat Penne Pasta)


What to do:

Dice your tomatoes. Add them to your broccoli, carrots, peas and corn. Stir together with olive oil, salt, pepper, and thyme. Place them onto a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes. Be careful to not burn them!




Meanwhile, add your pasta to boiling water and cook al dente.



As your noodles are boiling and your veggies are roasting take a sauce pan and put 3 tablespoons of butter in it. When the butter has melted add 3 tablespoons of flour to it. Stir well.



Now, add your four cups of milk to the flour/butter saucepan and stir. Bring to a low boil.



When the milk mixture has boiled stir in your cheeses, mustard, thyme.
Let the cheese get all melted.



Add together in the saucepan the roasted vegetables, the DRAINED noodles, and your milk mixture. Stir until all coated together. Place into a casserole dish and put into oven 350 degrees for 30 minutes.




You can coat the top with bread crumbs to add a crunch if you like, however I did not do this.

The final product is a warm and cheesy. There were no complaints about the vegetables in the casserole either which is always a good thing. I opted for not following the recipe exactly so reduce my grocery budget. I went with what I had on hand. Perhaps using Asiago cheese and real mustard would have made this a bit less bland. Adding some cayenne pepper and more roasted tomatoes would help too.



We had tons of leftovers. This will make for a decent lunch tomorrow!

No comments: