Friday, March 27, 2009

Guest Post: Sweet Maid Rite loose meat Sandwiches

Sweet maid-rite loose meat sandwiches are one of my favorite quick fix meals. I had my first maid-rite experience while living in Cedar Rapids, IA. Now that I am in Illinois, many people don't have a clue what a maid-rite is or even what it is supposed to taste like. I explain it like this: it's like a sloppy joe w/ out the mess and strong tomato flavor PLUS the addition of sweet carmelized brown sugar. TRUST ME, YOU WILL LOVE IT!

Here is what you need:




1 lb ground beef or turkey (or 2 lb depending on your family size), 1 med. onion, mustard, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, saltand pepper and buns.


Step 1: Chop up your medium onion. Yes, I have awesome Rachel Ray chopping skills! (okay, not really... but maybe someday!)

Step 2: Brown your hamburger and onion.



Mine looks like it's done! On to the next step...

Step 3: Drain your meat/onion and then place back into your pan

Step 4: Begin measuring out your ingredients: 1/2 cup ketchup, 1 tbs. worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup water, 1 tb. mustard and 2 tb brown sugar (salt and pepper to taste). I did take a picture of adding all of the ingredients in the pan, but I think I accidentaly deleted it! Sorry!

Okay, I found one other picture... Here is the worcestershire sauce (okay, everytime I type that word I seriously have to look back at my recipe to make sure I don't spell it wrong!)

Step 5: Mix all ingredients together. This is where I let the meat sit and simmer for about 30-45 minutes to let it soak in all the goodness. You could seriously just serve it up as is if you are in a hurry. It's also a good idea to do some taste testing. Some people prefer more brown sugar and less ketchup. It's such an easy recipe to alter to your own tastes!

Step 6: Serve on a bun! You can eat this with a fork or just go for it!

Servings: approx. 4 sandwiches per lb of meat used



Enjoy!

2 comments:

Carey said...

Sounds yummy! I've never heard of a Maid-Rite either. I just Googled it to learn more. I might just try this recipe!

Ashley said...

I made this last night, and it was a HUGE hit! Delicious! Can't wait to make it again...