Sunday, March 8, 2009

Meal Plan for the week of March 9-14

Flour tortillas are inexpensive. I am using this week to offer a few cheap recipes that can serve a crowd...two of which use the versatile flour tortilla. My personal favorite recipe using flour tortillas is the Mexican Tortilla Skillet, which you can find here. I did not do this recipe this week, but I really do love it. All of the recipes except for the Teddy Bear Bread can be tweeked and changed according to your tastes. I am actually in my first trimester of my third pregnancy, and most things do NOT sound good to me. I went through a week when I thought I needed a Subway sub everyday. (I am aware that some of you will know exactly what I am talking about and some of you will think I am just ridiculous) All I can say is the food aversion thing the doctors talk about is all too real for me. For some reason a good ole flour tortilla and some cheese and spaghetti sauce came to my rescue a couple of times when nothing else could. :) Currently, I am munching on a fortune cookie. My fortune: "Behind an able man, there are always other able men." Hmmm...I'm sure it's true, but I always thought the saying was, "behind every great man, is an even greater woman" but that's neither here nor there. :) (No, I am not a feminist) Okay, no more chit chat. Here's our week:

Monday: Breakfast Burritos
Tuesday: Teddy Bear Bread and Spaghetti
Wednesday: Classic Mini Cheeseburgers
Thursday: Smiley Pizzas
Friday: Beef Taco Salad

SHOPPING LIST

Breakfast Burritos:
12 eggs
2 Tbs. butter
1 roll of breakfast sausage
2 cups cheddar cheese
1 half onion, chopped
1 green bell pepper chopped
24 (or so) flour tortillas (any size is fine)

Teddy Bear Bread and "Sgettis":
1 package active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water (about 110 degrees)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbs. vanilla
1/3 cup warm milk
1/2 tsp. salt
5 large eggs
About 4-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg beaten with 1 Tbs. milk
Spaghetti noodles
Spaghetti sauce

Classic Mini Cheeseburgers:
1 medium onion
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley (I did not use fresh)
1-1/2 lb. 90% lean ground beef
1 garlic cloves, pressed
1 tsp. salt
6 slices American cheese
8 hot dog buns
24 hamburger dill pickle slices (I ignored this part, since my family would not eat pickles)

Smiley Pizzas:
Flour tortillas
mozzarella cheese
Spaghetti Sauce
Pepperoni
Serve with fruit

Beef Taco Salad:
1 lb. cooked ground beef
1 Taco seasoning packet
Veggies (tomatoes, cucumber, onion, just use what you have on hand)
A bag of salad, or rinsed, chopped lettuce
1,000 Island dressing (or whatever dressing your prefer)

No comments: