Easy. Hearty. Veggies. Freezes well.
What you will need:
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup celery
1/4 cup onion
3 tbs butter
4 cups of half/half (or milk)
1 cup chicken broth
How to make this soup:
1. If you are going to make this with bacon, go ahead and cook up some slices and set them aside to cool.
2. Clean your potatoes and throw them into the microwave to cook. Keeping the skin on will make them have extra nutrients.
After they are soft, let them cool and then cut them up into bit sized pieces. Set aside.
3. Cut up your onion, celery, and carrots.
4. In a big soup pan put 3 tbs butter, melt. Add in your veggies and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. Add in your 3 tbs flour, salt, pepper, thyme. Stir.
6. Add in your 4 cups milk/half and half. Stir and let thicken. It will take about 3-5 minutes.
7. Add in your 1 cup of chicken broth,potatoes, and your cheese. I used mozzerella simply because we had it leftover!
8. Add in your potatoes and let simmer for a good long while. Perhaps, 30 minutes.
Stir occasionally and let the smell fill the kitchen.
9. Serve with whole-wheat rolls and home made applesauce.
We did not use bacon this time and this meal was still really good. If you want to use the bacon simply break it into pieces once cooked and sprinkle it into the soup. For a crunch we actually used corn and found that very nice as well.
A bit of sour cream is good on top of this. :)