Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Wednesday: Wafflewiches

Waffles are not just for breakfast anymore! If you have never tried a wafflewich, you are in for a great meal! A wafflewich is basically a sandwich- hot or cold served on a waffle. I made plain waffles using bisquick and then added shredded cheese and sauteed onions to the batter. Then you add your sandwich toppings- eat cold or heat to eat warm. We had our first waffle sandwich at a local restaurant in town and we have now recreated them to enjoy at home!

Here is what you need:

Bisquick (or frozen waffles), cheddar cheese, turkey, bacon, mayo and red onion (Note- these are the toppings we chose for our sandwiches, but you can choose other toppings as well). I also used peanut butter and jelly for my youngest.

Step 1: Mix up your waffles if you are making them homeade. Then, preheat the waffle iron.

Step 2: If you are using bacon, fry your bacon and then sautee your chopped red onion.

Step 3: If you are going to make all of your waffles w/ cheddar cheese and sauteed onion in the batter, go ahead and mix these two ingredients into your batter. Otherwise, make a few plain waffles and then make some with cheese and onions.

Step 4: Add your ingredients to your sandwich (Note- your sandwich toppings may be different than mine). We used turkey, bacon, cheddar cheese and mayo.


Step 5: Cut and serve! If you want to eat them cold, you are ready to go! I prefer mine warm, so after adding my ingredients to my sandwich, I put my sandwich back on my waffle maker (which was still warm) and it melted my cheese.

Step 6: My daughter loved her peanut butter and jelly wafflewich!


Cost per family of 6: $4.00

Cost per person: .66 cents

I really want to hear how you like the wafflewich!

Please post and let me know what great ideas you have for mix-ins for the waffle batter and toppings for your sandwiches!

5 comments:

Ana Smith said...

I was allergic to wheat when I was younger. None of my mom's attempts at wheat free bread were very edible. But, she learned that she could easily make some pretty tasty rice/oat flour waffles and pancakes. So, I grew up with wafflewiches all the time, although I think we just called them sandwiches. :-)

Heather, aka Jake's Mommy said...

We do wafflewiches on the weekends with bacon or ham, fried eggs, and cheese all topped with a light drizzle of syrup. So yum!!!

Susan@The Cozy Chickadee said...

I love it just the way you made it! What a super idea, I'll be trying it very soon. Thanks!

Mom of two said...

Yum this looks great! I will be dragging out my waffle maker soon :)

avaliandellab said...

I've never done this before... but my family loved it! Thank you!