Monday, August 17, 2009
Ok, first confession~ this dish is not Romanian at all! However, many moons ago I ate a similar treat while in Romania and thus the name stuck. This is a snack, side dish, breakfast dish, or even for me a late night treat. It is healthy, easy and a fun thing to make with the kids.
Here is what you will need:
Yogurt (I use organic PLAIN)
Honey (buy local honey, it will help with your family allergies!!!)
Seasonal fruit (now for us it is peaches,plums, blueberries, and apricots)
There are no exact measurements for this treat. Basically, you start by cutting up all the fruit. I would think any fruit would due except stay away from citrus fruits.
1. I cut up apricots, peaches, plumbs, and tossed in some blueberries. Don't they look so yummy?
2. Next, in a bowl mix your cut up fruit with yogurt. I usually use half of a tub so that I can make it again later in the week.
3. Next, mix in a fourth cup of flax seed (Come on! Do it! We are talking lots of fiber and omega's here!!)
4. Now, add about a cup of uncooked oatmeal. If you want less, do less. If you want more, do more...this is all about the texture you like!
5. I use unsweetened plain yogurt, so I sweeten this up with honey. I can not even tell you how much I use. I just squirt a bit into it, taste and if it needs a bit more I add some more. You could use Vanilla yogurt and forgo the honey if you choose.
Stir it all up, plop it in a container and you have a tasty treat!!
Labels: Recipes and Meal Ideas