Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Tuesday: Nacho Bar

What you will need:

Home made Pico de Gallo (Tomatoes, cilantro, onion, lime juice)
Avocado
Hamburger
Taco Shells or Tortilla chips
Shredded cheese
Black beans


What to do:

1.I used meat that we had leftover from a previous meal. It was just hamburger meat that I had frozen. Either thaw your leftover meat (you could also use chicken) or brown enough hamburger for your family.

2. Meanwhile, cook a can of black beans on the stove. If you prefer (which I usually do) use uncanned black beans. They are cheaper in the long run and healthier as they do not contain any of the chemical residue from the can. However, when in a hurry canned beans will be more than fine!

3. Shred your cheese and put it into a bowl.

4. Cut up (or use a food processor) your tomatoes, onions, and cilantro. I had to buy cilantro because it is the one herb in my garden which did not come up this year! Dur.
After it is chopped and beautifully mixed together add just a bit of lime juice for some zest. I use about one large onion to every five tomatoes. You can make your pico de gallo any way you like, but do make it. It adds so much flavor!!!!

5. Cut up an avocado.

Place everything in bowls next to a bag of chips and have the family make their own nachos. It is fun, hands-on, and quick.


Nacho Bar Contains
Cheese
Meat
Black Beans
Avocado
Pico de Gallo

You could also add: taco sauce, sour cream, or anything else your family enjoys on nachos.

Click here to see another rendition of this meal.



ps....the tomatoes came from my garden. :)

2 comments:

Jenny O. said...

I am so glad to see that you guys are back. I get fabulous ideas from you. Reasonable dinners that are perfect for families. Thanks!

Sarah Anne said...

you made this with out me! :<( I am absolutely craving our nachos now- maybe you can have it twice in one week?? :<)