What you will need for this comfort food:
Various other veggies if you like: green beans, lima beans, etc
Half-n-Half (probably could use whole milk, but then would it be so sinfully creamy?)
Seasoning: Salt and Pepper, Paprika
What to do:
1. Slice up your carrots and begin to boil them.
2. Meanwhile, cut up your chicken bite sized. Place it into a pan with a little bit of olive oil, paprika, salt and pepper. Dice up an onion and cook it with the chicken.
3. Add the rest of your veggies to the same pot as the carrots. I used a bag of mixed veggies that I got for near free at the grocery this week. If you are using fresh they will take a bit longer to cook.
4. Peel and slice your potatoes, boil them and make some good old fashioned mashed potatoes. Set aside. (Tip: I used mashed potatos that I had frozen from a previous batch. They worked beautifully for this meal and alleviated an entire step!)
5. Get your pie crust ready (Mine is home made and frozen, nobody laugh at my terrible pie crust shaping!). I believe that store bought crust would be just fine. I know Sarah has used store bought before and made delicious meals with it. Bake it empty for about 20 minutes, until it is almost baked.
6. When your chicken is cooked through, add the half and half and a tablespoon of flour to it. You are making a gravy. Keeping adding the milk and flour until you have a creamy (not too thick!) gravy.
7. Add your DRAINED veggies to the gravy/chicken and mix all together. Taste it and see if it needs more seasoning. If so, add to taste.
8. Place your filling into the pie crust.
9. Take the mashed potatoes and put them on top rather than having a pie crust on top.
10. Bake for 10-15 more minutes to finish up that pie crust and warm through. Serve hot!
TIP~ when I make this I double the amount that I am going to need, which is very easy to do. I then place the leftover filling into a ziplock and freeze it. This makes an incredibly easy meal to throw together at a later date especially if you already have the crust and mashed potatoes ready too!