Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Making Pumpkin Puree



Here in our community there is a shortage of canned pumpkin. I think that this may be the case in a lot of places as I have seen articles on the subject recently. I don't know if anyone is actually in a panic and raising havoc on local grocery stores, but I find the whole idea of a canned pumpkin crisis a little funny. Mostly, because it is incredibly easy to make your own and frankly it tastes way better than canned.

Here is what you need:

PUMPKINS (smaller ones tend to be less watery, although you can use larger ones too).
Ziploc bags

Here is what to do:

1. Cut your pumpkin in half.
2. Scoop the goop out of both halves. (Save the seeds for pepitas!)
3. Using your knife cut the pumpkin into smaller pieces. It matters not how small or what shape. My pieces usually look a bit like big pie slices.
4. Place them onto a baking pan and plop them skin side down into the oven at 375 for about 45 minutes.
5. Let them cool.
6. Peel the skin right off with your fingers or use a spoon to scoop out the tender cooked pumpkin.
7. Place into a food processor and turn on. When the pumpkin is puree a few seconds later it is finished. It if is really dry you may want to add just a hint of water.
If it is really watery you may want to drain some out.
8. Place into ziplocks bags and store in your freezer for when you need pumpkin.
9. Now, pat yourself on the back because those signs announcing a pumpkin puree shortage will mean nothing to you for you are self-sufficient!!


And, you ask....What can you do with pumpkin puree?

Oh my word~

There is pumpkin bread, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin soup, pumpkin pie, pumpkin butter, a whole world of orange deliciousness awaits.

4 comments:

Mamushsky World Headquarters said...

AWESOME! thanks for sharing. I'm going to do this. We have two pumpkins that we never carved and I want to make pumpkin pie for thanksgiving.

Patricia Linehan said...

This is the 2nd year I've made pumpkin puree and I keep asking myself why I didn't try it sooner. So easy & economical...one pumpkin produces a lot of puree.

Ethiopianmomma said...

I agree Patricia! It is so easy and makes so much puree. We have enjoyed this every year since we started doing it and we love the food that is enhanced by the pumpkin. I am hoping to make some fresh bread and pumpkin butter tonight!

Rayne of Terror said...

Did it today! But I didn't know about leaving the seeds out to dry overnight and just baked them. I have 5 more pumpkins I can experiment with though! I'm gonna need a bigger freezer.