Wednesday, December 2, 2009
Crock Pot: Chicken and Black Beans
Talk about easy breezy!
Here is what you need:
Black Beans (uncooked, not from a can)
Packet of taco seasoning
Can of tomatoes (whole, diced, chopped, whatever!)
Rice or Tortilla
Here is what to do:
1. First, stand in your kitchen and take a deep breath. This five minutes of preparation is going to produce a healthy and tasty dinner tonight with very little effort and hardly any clean up!
2. In your crock pot add the following:
*Black Beans that have been rinsed and drained. You do NOT have to let them soak overnight as long as you have a good 8 hours to let them cook in the crock pot today.
*Can of tomatoes with the juice
*Box of broth
*half a packet of taco seasoning
4. Allow the crock to cook the meal all day long. Eventually the beans will soften perfectly and the chicken will become so tender that you can shred it with a fork, which is what you want to do before serving.
5. About 45 minutes before dinner cook your rice. We use brown rice, which takes a bit longer than white rice. (But, has added texture, taste, and health benefits!)
6. Serve the chicken and black beans over the rice. You can add a bit of sour cream or taco sauce to taste it up even more.
This meal was received very well by my family. I do think that when I make it again I would use the entire packet of taco seasoning and I might chop and cook an onion in the crock too.I did not freeze the leftovers, simply stored them for lunch tomorrow which we will serve with tortillas.
Labels: Recipes and Meal Ideas