My hubby and I took our boys to Sweet Tomatoes the other day. Can I just give a big Whoop Whoop to Sweet Tomatoes?! I could eat there every single day. I could pack up and move in right by the salad bar...or the soup bar. And, if I wanted to see my husband I would simply walk over to the pizza and potatoes, grabbing a green tea and a corn bread muffin on the way. Anyway~ being that we don't live in Sweet Tomatoes and never will I found myself dissecting this amazing soup that I was slurping.
Long story short, I can't remember what was in the soup and NO my version taste nothing like theirs, but it was good and here it is!
What you will need:
Vegetable Stock (See our HOW TO SERIES!)
What to do:
1. Soak your chick peas in a pot of water. The quick method is to boil them for one minute and then to let them sit for two hours. Drain the water and they are ready to use. (This helps reduce the fart factor....)
OR just used canned chickpeas...
2. Mean while chop up your carrots, celery, red onion, and cilantro and set aside.
3. In a big pot of Vegetable Stock add your red onion, cilantro, barely and chick peas.
4. Now, add the celery and carrots.
5. It is starting to look and smell pretty darn good. Keep simmering this soup on low for a nice long time, until the barley is cooked. I would give it a couple of hours.
Add cumin and Cayenne pepper to taste (careful with that pepper now!)
6. Towards the end of the simmering soup add a nice handful of spinach leaves. Seriously, they are amazing in this soup.
ps....we are looking for ways to use barley in our kitchen. If you have ideas pass them on please!