Monday, February 22, 2010
Monday: White Bean Chicken Chili
(Like the picture? It is Sunday morning, 6:30am......)
I got this idea from the Wondertime magazine and changed it just a bit. The soup was very good and even my vegetable hating husband ate it. Although, he did come by and steal the onions and chilies off of the counter in protest of me putting them into his food. Dur.
This is very easy to make and is nice for leftovers. We ate it for lunch the next day.
Cast of characters ~
4 cups chicken broth
2 cans of green chilies
Bag of white beans (or use 3 cans)
1 bag frozen corn
8 oz cheese
What to do:
*IF YOU ARE USING CANNED BEANS YOU CAN SKIP THIS STEP!
1. Rinse and soak your white beans. Boil them for several hours until they are tender.
2. Boil your chicken, we used just one big chicken breast. The recipe calls for 2 pounds, but we did not use that much and it was still really good. Keep the broth and use it! Cut up your chicken when cooked, remove bone, set aside. I added just a bit more of broth to mine.
3. Dice up your onion and put it into a soup pot. Add olive oil and saute for 5 minutes, until tender.
4. Add your canned chilies (and spices) to the pan and continue to saute. It will smell delicious!
5. Add the chicken and broth to the onion/chilies and stir.
6. Add the beans.
7. Cook together for 15-30 minutes.
8. Add the corn and cook again for 15 minutes.
9. Add half of the cheese and stir.
Serve in bowls with cheese sprinkled on top. Also good with a bit of sour cream.
We ate this with home made flax rolls and we had apples with peanut butter as a side dish.
It was delicious!
Labels: Recipes and Meal Ideas