In the pursuit of new and delicious healthy recipes I took a trip to the Whole Foods Market. You will be hearing more about my adventure there in the coming days as I go through cooking with whole grains. In the meantime, please let me share this recipe with you. I came across it while searching the Whole Foods Market website. It is a cake, people, a real cake made with apples and sweet potatoes. Sweet, sweet potatoes.
I loved it! I had to share it!
What you will need:
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large apple, peeled, cored and grated
1 (3/4-pound) sweet potato, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
What to do:
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil an (8-inch) baking pan with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg; set aside. .In a second large bowl, whisk together sugar and egg until well combined.
3. Peel your sweet potato, peel and core your apple!
4. Grate them up!
5. Stir in apple, sweet potato, vanilla and walnuts and then add apple mixture to flour mixture and stir to combine.
6. Transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until cake pulls away from the edges and is deep golden brown, 40 to 50 minutes. Set aside to let cool and then cut into squares and serve.
7. Eat it up! Delicious with coffee! Delicious with Milk! Delicious just anyway, like eating small bites of it as you pass through the kitchen and just happen to see it on the counter...........
Thanks, Whole Foods Market!