Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Thursday: Chicken and Dumplings
1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
3 large chicken breasts
2 Carrots, chopped
2 Celery, chopped
3 Cups Chicken Broth
2 cups flour
2 Tsp baking powder
1/2 cups cornmeal
1 Tbs Sugar
1 3/4 cup half and half
What to do:
1. Season 1/2 cup of flour with salt and pepper.
2. Dredge chicken breasts through the flour.
3. Place chicken into a large pan with some olive oil. Brown on both sides, 3-5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, chop the onion and saute it.
5. Add the chopped carrots and chopped celery into the onions. Stir and keep saute for a good two minutes.
6. Now, add the veggies to the chicken. I went ahead and cut up the chicken a little bit in the pan. This is optional.
7. Add the three cups of chicken broth. Throw in the spices too!
8. Set the oven timer for twenty minutes and simmer. As the chicken simmers go ahead and make the dumplings. Add all of the dumplings ingredients together in a bowl.
9. After twenty minutes plop those dumplings onto the chicken soupy mixture. Remember to cover the pan or else the top of your dumplings won't get done!
10. Serve warm.
This was my first time making chicken and dumplings. I thought that this recipe was really delicious, however the chicken could have been a little more tender. I will work on this and post again when I find an answer for that.
Labels: Recipes and Meal Ideas