Monday, February 1, 2010

Tuesday: Upside Down Pizza and Spring Salad


This is one of those recipes that had been haunting me in magazines month after month and finally I said, "Fine... I will make you!" It looks very tasty in the picture promoting it above.. don't you agree? I thought so too... until it TOTALLY FLOPPED!

If you notice in the ingredient list below, it calls for broccoli. I thought to myself, "spinach- yes I have heard of that in pizza... but broccoli?? and with traditional spaghetti sauce?" But unfortunately, I didn't listen to the little chef sitting on my shoulder, and I tried it anyway.

I am still sharing this recipe with you, because as Meal Planning Mommies, we are here to share our JOYS and FLOPS with you all! So... get ready for my big flop-o!


Here is what you need:

Ingredients:
1 lb. ground beef
1 jar (1 lb. 10 oz.) Ragu® Old World Style® Sweet Tomato Basil Smooth Pasta Sauce
1 package (10 oz.) frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and squeezed dry (optional)*very optional!
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 can (11 oz.) refrigerated pizza dough (or make your own!)


Instructions:

Step 1: Make your pizza dough... or just pull the can out of the fridge! (P.S.- can I get a shout out to my husband for buying me this AMAZING Kitchen Aid Mixer for Christmas! I am LOVING it!)


Step 2: Brown the ground beef


Step 3: After draining the ground beef, put it back in the pan and add your pasta sauce, stir and bring to a boil.


Step 4: Put hamburger, pasta mixture into a 2 qt. baking dish and then put broccoli on top. (I used fresh broccoli... maybe that was part of my problem... or maybe it's just the broccoli period!)


Step 5: Top with Cheese

Step 6: Top with pizza dough,pinching edges to seal. Bake at 375 for 20 min. or until browned. Let stand for 10 minutes.

Step 7: Slice into your pizza and serve it up! (Doesn't mine look soupy compared to what it is supposed to look like.... compare the two)

Mine....


Theirs....
Step 8: Serve with a Spring Salad (At least I had that much that was good!)


Meal Serves: 6
Cost of Meal: $6.00
Cost Per Person: $1.00

I really think this recipe has potential. I know I slammed it pretty hard in my post, but I was truly disappointed (and REALLY glad I didn't invite guests over that night to eat with us!). I may try and make it again.

The next time I would:
1. Use NORMAL pizza toppings instead of broccoli... like mushrooms, peppers and onions.
2. Use Sausage instead of hamburger
3. Let it sit longer before serving (maybe that would take care of the soup like texture?)

I would love to hear from you!

Leave a comment and let us know...

Have you tried this recipe before? Would you try it?

What do you think would make it better?

7 comments:

pastorwick said...

your husband was also sick that night, adding to the general "whatever is being cooked has no appeal". :)

He'd totally try it if you made it again. Broccoli and all.

Brittany said...

I have tried that recipe but used spinach mushrooms and onions. Not company worthy but it was good. I absolutley love your site by the way. Please keep it coming!

stacey said...

One big difference I noticed was that it called for chopped broccoli. Having the broccoli in much smaller chunks might have made it less offending in the end result? No idea. I might give this a try sometime with another variety of toppings or under-toppings, whatever they should be called. The idea is good, but I agree that broccoli might not be the best choice for a veggie. Thanks for sharing!!

The Simon Family said...

Is this a regional thing? Because where I live, people eat broccoli on pizza all the time (in fact, my favorite pizza is broccoli and fresh tomatoes)...

Patricia L said...

Maybe less sauce? Sometimes I make calzones w/ very little sauce on the inside and then set out little dishes of sauce for dipping.

We are the Smith Family said...

I think broccoli is fine on pizza...however smaller....more chopped. Just play with it.....I think I would prefer mushrooms and tomatoes...less liquid might be necessary if adding ingredients that have more water content. Hope to try it soon....thank you for your site and all the pics.....really motivates me more to try them!!!

MommaHughes said...

You're adorable.