This recipe comes from the Betty Crocker cookbook, a staple that has been in my kitchen since I graduated from college and had my very own tiny studio apartment.
What you will need:
Chicken breast (I sliced three large ones in half, making six).
1/3 cup flour
3 Tbs cornmeal
pinch of red pepper
1 (4oz) can of green chile peppers
Cheese (Betty Crocker says Monterrey Jack, but I used cheddar)
What to do:
1. Using a meat mallet pound your chicken out until it is thin. You are going to be rolling it up, so it needs to thin enough to manage easily. I let my three year old have at this for a while.
2. In a bowl mix your flour, corn meal, and red pepper. Stir together.
3. In another bowl beat your egg.
4. Open those chiles!
5. On the edge of your chicken add the chiles. I just put a nice heaping spoonful.
6. Then add your cheese. I used shredded. Next time I make this I will use a block of cheese so that it makes less of a mess and is easier to roll.
7. Roll it up and secure with a toothpick (or two!)
8. Next, dunk the entire thing into the egg and then into the flour. Repeat for all of your rellenos.
Sprinkle a little cheese on top of them and bake them!
9. Bake for 30 minutes or until chicken is cooked through at 375.
Pour some salsa on the top and a bit of cilantro. Enjoy!