Here is another way to use barley! I love it. I love barley. More than girl scout cookies. Yep, my love for barley runs deep. MMMMmmmm.......
What you will need:
1 pound beef brisket, London broil, stew meat, or chuck roast, cut into small cubes
1 medium onion, diced
1/2 pound small mushrooms, chopped up small (if serving kiddos!)
6 cups water or beef broth (I did one can beef broth and five cups water)
1/2 cup uncooked pearled barley
1 bay leaf
3 large carrots cut up
3 ribs celery cut up
What to do:
1. First, heat your olive oil in a large pot and add your meat. You can have it pre-cut up or leave it whole and then cut it. Brown it on all sides. Chop your mushroom and onion up. I cut up the mushroom so that my son will eat it as he will not eat whole mushrooms yet. Saute the mushrooms and onions with the meat.
2. Add your water and beef broth. I actually put this into a crock pot and let it simmer all day. You could do this or cook it for a shorter period in a large pot on the stove top.
3. Cut up your celery and carrots. Add them (and the bay leaf) to your crock or pot.
Aren't they pretty??
4. Now, add in your barley. A little bit goes a long way. 1/2 cup is a good filling amount!
5. Cut up your meat and toss it in.
6. If you are cooking this in a crock pot simply let is simmer all afternoon until the meat is soft and tender. If you are cooking it on the stove let it simmer for an hour or until your meat is cooked through.
and the finished product.........