Once again I got this basic idea from the Taste of Home magazine, but I modified it to fit what we currently have in our pantry. This may need some explaining. My family has made a commitment to live with intentional simplicity and we have decided to live with less. It is our hope that through this our children will grow up without a sense of entitlement, rather gracious and compassionate hearts. Spending less and having less also enables us to give more, a lifestyle that we are embarking on with gusto. This has boiled down to me having to modify recipes based on what we have. It honestly has been fun and I am proud of myself at the end of the day for accepting the challenge.
So, here is my soup based on what I had. I will also give you the Taste of Home version because it does sound amazing! Their version has Alfredo sauce in it! Yum!
1. Add a bag of pre-soaked northern beans to a crock pot. I soaked mine ahead of time for about three hours, rinsed them and tossed them in. You can used canned also and forgo the soaking.
2. Toss in two large chicken breasts. Of course, modify depending on your family size!
3. Toss in your corn. I used corn leftover from the summer that I had frozen. It was the last I had left and it made me so happy that gardening season is here again! It was about 3 cups.
4. I used frozen chicken stock that I made. You can use chicken broth or stock. I can not tell you exactly how much this was, perhaps six cups. I needed more so I also added two cups of water. Make sure you have about eight cups of liquid, give or take a little.
5. Flavor with real onion if you have it. I did not so I used onion powder. Also, make sure to add cumin and a hint of cayenne pepper. Cumin is what makes this soup good! Cumin makes everything good.
6. Thank goodness I had these! Toss in a can of diced green chiles! They add so much flavor. My husband (you know the one who does not like vegetables....) sat and ate this soup while picking out each and every chile. Dur.......but the rest of us LOVED the spicy touch!
7. Cook in your crock pot all afternoon. It smells heavenly. We ate our with rolls and apples with peanut butter. Simple, healthy, hearty, inexpensive.
Now, for the Taste of Home version....somebody try this and tell me if it is as amazing as it sounds!
Taste of Home's White Chili
3 cans northern beans
3 cups chicken cooked and cut up
1 jar of Alfredo sauce
2 cups chicken broth
Can of green chiles
1 1/2 cup corn
1 cup Monterrey jack cheese
1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
1 small yellow pepper
1 small onion
Cayenne pepper/White pepper
Add together and cook for 3-4 hours.