Saturday, May 15, 2010

Suburban Farming

Happy Saturday. Sarah and I are actually together this morning with our families. We just came back from some mega-garage sale shopping and are pleased to have found some $1 bag sales. Yea baby!


I am going to share a few pictures of my garden.  Here~ I am going to throw this out to you. I want to be a farmer. Not the kind of farmer that has huge farm equipment and acres upon acres of Midwestern soy and corn.  A little dream of mine~ some land, a small tractor, and several acres of garden. (Toss some goats, chicken, and cows into the mix too!)

Some day I want to go outside to pick all of our food. I want you to be able to come to my house and when you ask "whats for dinner?" I will open the back door and set you free.

For now, though, the back door will take you into a pretty typical suburban back yard with lots of shade, swing set, picnic table and unfortunately some dog poo.   For three years now I have struggled with how best to garden in my current yard. This year I finally did what I should have done from the start.

I tore out landscaping to make room for a garden. And, frankly it is beautiful. Instead of some bushes in the front yard we now have a lovely little crop of lettuce, broccoli, and cauliflower.  I did not plant annual flowers in my pots this year either. I planted cilantro, basil, dill, and starter tomatoes. In the back yard I ripped up bushes and planted several rows of peas, Lima beans, green beans, and peppers, cantaloupe, pumpkin and several varieties of squash. My lavender is doing great too. In addition, I started a little garden in some open space at my mother-in-law's home. 

In addition we joined a community supported agriculture program this year, but that is a another story which I am going to share more about very soon.

Here are a couple of pictures. My lettuce and cilantro are ready to start eating.
Call me Katie ~ suburban farmer. You don't have to own a lot of land to have a nice garden! Make do with what you have a be creative!

Any other suburban farmers out there?

3 comments:

Gretchen Magruder said...

I aspire to be a Suburban Farmer and eat from our back yard.....but so far, we're just doing some gardening :) I decided to move my strawberries and rhubarb to my front yard, in with the flowers...LOVE how pretty the red stalks are!

Ethiopianmomma said...

Hi Gretchen,

Hey~ I will trade you some berries and rhubarb for somethings I am growing this season. Deal? :)

MommaHughes said...

Hey Katie! Check out this blog I just stumbled across. http://jane4girls800dollarannualbudget.blogspot.com/2010/05/2010-garden-happenings.html
This lady has some awesome pics of what she's farmin' up. :) Apparently she has a budget of $800/ year on groceries, and I am certain that planting her food, amongst other things, is all part of why that budget plan is possible. Love ya girl. Wish I coulda been there with you and Sarah. :( Miss you guys.