Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday: Pad Thai Pizza

Flop.

I wish that is all I could say, but I should probably tell you the entire story.

Let us begin. This meal was a flop. Flop! Flop! Flop! Flop!

In defense of the recipe this meal was a flop because of my error and I am pretty sure it would have been good had it been made correctly.

Let me give you the recipe and then you can try it yourself!

Ingredients (as provided by Taste of Home magazine):
1 tube of refridgerated pizza crust
2 tbs creamy peanut butter
2 tbs teriyaki sauce
1 tbs sweet chili sauce
1 tsp honey
2 cups shredded chicken
1 cup mozz. cheese
1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
1/4 cup cilantro
2 green onions, sliced

Now~ I modified this recipe a couple of ways.  I made my own pizza dough, which may have contributed to this not turning out right. I also made my own teriyaki sauce (out of soy sauce, pine-apple juice, and ginger). This I was pleased with though~ the sauce was terrific.

My Pad Thai Pizza was dry and well...um....yea...gross.

Here is why: I made my dough from scratch. But, while it was browning in the oven I got side-tracked from one of my kiddos and I overcooked it.  Later I assembled with sauce and put the pizza together. The sauce (sweet chili, peanut butter, honey, and tereyaki) is really delicious. I got all excited about this unique take on pizza despite my overcooked dough. I popped the assembled pizza into the oven to melt the cheese and my littlest one woke up ready to eat. I got caught up in nursing him and totally overcooked the pizza.  The once creamy white mozzerella cheese was dark brown and hard as a rock.

So, flop. Flop. Flop. Flop.


But, in case you want to try. Here is what to do:

1. Make your dough. Taste of Home suggested a refriderated crust. I bet you can make your own, but roll it out thin. Regardless, stick it into the oven for 5-6 minutes until SLIGHTLY brown!

2. Assemble your sauce. I would suggest making a bit more than suggested by Taste of Home. I use all natural peanut butter than is pretty dry compared to regular store bought peanut butter. This may have also contributed to the dryness.






















3. Next, put half of the sauce onto your dough.









4. Now, mix the rest of the sauce with the shredded chicken.









5. Put the chicken mixture onto the pizza crust. Place the cheese on top too. Plop it into the oven, but don't overcook!


















Note: The recipe called for shredded cheese, but I had my arms full of a baby and could not shred the cheese. Dur...

6. Once your pizza has finished baking (10-15 minutes) put shredded carrots, onion, cilantro, crushed peanuts and sprouts on top. Serve..but hopefully it will taste better than mine!










If anyone makes this and it turns out please let me know! I still like the idea of this meal and would love to hear if a better (and less distracted)  cook than I made it work!

1 comment:

MommaHughes said...

It looks like it could have been delicious. ;) Love ya girl. Guess that's why we post restaurant deals each week too, huh? :) Sounds like the reason it didn't turn out right was because you were too busy being a great mom, so not all bad!! :)