The basic idea~ tortilla pan grilled with black beans and a whole- crisp veggies! And, some cheese for good measure.
What I used:
Black Beans (cooked and seasoned with cumin and sea salt)
Homemade corn salsa: Frozen corn, red onion, tomato, cilantro, cumin, black beans (see above), garlic, and lemon juice. Other great additions would be~ lime, chickpeas, mango, etc....
Here We Go:
1. If you are using uncooked beans then go ahead and prepare them. When they ready let them cool. You are going to add them to the salsa once they are prepared. If you are using canned black beans then open those puppies up.
2. Start out by making your salsa. This way you can snack on it while you cook dinner! Just cut up your tomato, cilantro, and red onion. Add frozen corn, cumin, garlic, and lemon juice (just a tad). Mix in a bowl and start snaking. My son loves salsa and came running when he heard was I was making! He snacked along with me and I had to smile at the thought of all the wonderful raw foods he was putting into his body with no complaint.
3. Take a tiny bit of olive oil and put it into a pan. Place a tortilla on top. You want the heat to be high enough to brown the tortilla without burning it.
5. Add just a tad more cheese on top to help the upper tortilla stick to the bottom tortilla. After you have done this add a tortilla to the top and flip. Brown on both sides. It only takes a few moments. Basically, you are keeping it on the grill long enough to melt your cheese!
6. Cut with a pizza slicer. You can use sour cream or just mush up some avocado instead. It is much healthier and tastes so rich and creamy. Avocado is my best friend, aside from the other two Meal Planning Mommies. I get to see Avocado more often. We are really close and have lunch together at least twice a week. Don't tell Sarah and Alisha, they will get jealous.
Babies (6 month and older): Mush up some avocado and serve it.
Toddlers: Cut up theinto bite sized pieces and serve.
Now, you should have some leftover salsa. Just serve it as a snack or tomorrow with some chips....my son caught me sneaking a bite. Yum!