Thursday, June 3, 2010

Beef and Bulgar Pilaf with Mint

This little dish is a fun way to use mint. Our mint came the CSA box and our dill came from the garden outback. Once tomatoes and zucchini are in season this dish could be incredibly inexpensive to make, especially if you do as we did and omit the meat. I know pine nuts are pricey, but they are so good! 

Ingredients:


4 Tbs Olive Oil
1/4 cup Pine Nuts
8 Ounces Ground Beef
1/4 tsp allspice
1 1/2 cup Bulgar
3 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 med. zucchini
2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 scallions
1/4 cup mint
1/4 cup dill
1 clove garlic
2 Tbs lemon juice

What to do:
1. Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a pot. Add the pine nuts and all spice. Toast.
2. Next add the ground beef. I encourage you to purchase pastured beef, locally if you can! Break up with a spoon and brown.
3. Now, add the bulgur and toast. This will take about three minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth.
5. Place your diced zucchini on top. You don't have to stir them in, they will steam on the top.
6. Salt and Pepper nicely, cook for about 10-12 minutes until the bulgur is nice and ready.
7. As the pilaf is cooking, cut up your scallions, dill, mint, garlic, tomato and toss them together with lemon juice.
8. In a bowl toss together and serve.











Alternative: 

I would like to suggest a similar recipe to this one from the food network. I wanted to make this recipe, but realized last minute that in my mommy-brained mind I was confusing bulgur with barley. 
Instead of using bulgur I used barley. I cooked the barley seperately and then tossed it in with the rest. I did not use beef or broth, desiring this meal to be vegetarian.  I did add extra lemon juice. I think that with the barley a better alternative would be to use chicken. This is a very fresh and zesty (that's a fun word!) pilaf. My family enjoyed stuffed inside pita's. 




****My memory card troubles are continuing. GRRRRrrrrrrr....

Yes, I just growled. See my four year old likes to pretend to be a lion all day long, so I have become accustomed to growling as a form of basic communication. That growl meant, "Ah,why won't my picture upload!!!!" I will get them uploaded and post them as soon as I can, hopefully tonight!

1 comment:

amanda said...

This looks so healthy and fresh. I wish there was a season when pine nuts were inexpensive!