Great things about this soup:
1. It is so simple that my four year old could do it. He doesn't do it though because he is busy catapulting off of the couch. Need proof? Here he is. And, this was before the lentils.
2. It is nourishing and healthy and whole.
3. It is very inexpensive, makes a lot, and is the perfect leftover food for a busy Saturday.
4. You can do just about anything you like to modify the recipe below to fit what you have and what you like.
5. It is full of Lentils, which makes me happy. Lentils are so cute. They are like the little puppies of pulse category. I just think they are adorable.
What you "may" need:
2 cups of green lentils
2 cups of water (more for soupy soup~ 2 cups gives you a stew like consistency)
16-24 oz canned tomatoes
2-3 cups of greens
salt, pepper, and any other herbs/spices you would like to use
*I also added a sweet little portion of my favorite whole grain~ millet.
What you do:
First, wash those darling little lentils. Admit it, they are cute! Place an estimated 2 cups of them into your soup pot.
If you have some millet toss it in. If not, no problemo. (But, get to know millet. Aw, it is wonderful stuff!)
Let them simmer on the stove about 20-25 minutes. Stir here and there.
Serve piping hot with some good whole grain bread and a dollop of sour cream.
Ok, I showed my eldest wild child so now I need to show my youngest. Here he is eating his fresh pureed peas yesterday. Let's just say he was not a fan.