Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday Night Lentil Soup

Great things about this soup: 

1. It is so simple that my four year old could do it. He doesn't do it though because he is busy catapulting off of the couch. Need proof? Here he is. And, this was before the lentils.


2. It is nourishing and healthy and whole.
3. It is very inexpensive, makes a lot, and is the perfect leftover food for a busy Saturday.
4. You can do just about anything you like to modify the recipe below to fit what you have and what you like.
5. It is full of Lentils, which makes me happy. Lentils are so cute. They are like the little puppies of pulse category. I just think they are adorable.

What you "may" need:


2 cups of green lentils
2 cups of water (more for soupy soup~ 2 cups gives you a stew like consistency)
16-24 oz canned tomatoes
2-3 cups of greens
salt, pepper, and any other herbs/spices you would like to use

*I also added a sweet little portion of my favorite whole grain~ millet.

What you do:

First, wash those darling little lentils.  Admit it, they are cute! Place an estimated 2 cups of them into your soup pot. 

Second, add your canned tomatoes. There is no reason to process them unless you have a picky husband like mine who won't eat them unless they resemble baby food. If you do have a vegetable terrified  husband like mine then I feel your pain and go ahead and puree the tomatoes. I used two jars, equally 24 0unces.

Now, cut up some onion and two or three cups of greens. This is the last of my CSA box greens from this week. I used a mixture of mustard kale and collard greens here. I think you could do just about anything.

If you have some millet toss it in. If not, no problemo. (But, get to know millet. Aw, it is wonderful stuff!)
Now~ you have lentils, onions, greens, tomatoes, millet, and you need....a little salt and pepper.
Let them simmer on the stove about 20-25 minutes. Stir here and there.

Serve piping hot with some good whole grain bread and a dollop of sour cream.

Tomorrow (Saturday) we get up and go hunt for garage sales. I already know when we get back we will be famished. Lunch is ready to go~ we will just heat up a bowl of this soup and boom~ energy filled for a great weekend!

Ok, I showed my eldest wild child so now I need to show my youngest. Here he is eating his fresh pureed peas yesterday. Let's just say he was not a fan.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I have been trying to work up the courage to serve lentils to the boys...I think your post may have given me the courage I lack lol! Its looks sooooo yummy. I love your blog, btw, and I tagged you guys for an award! Stop by my place sometime and pick it up :) Have a blessed day!