Saturday, June 26, 2010

How to Series: Freezing Turnips



Turnips? These are new to our palates! While I think of ways to use them I need to preserve them at the peak of their freshness. They were picked today, in my CSA box in abundance, and now I stand in my kitchen curious about my families reaction to the turnip!

How to Freeze a Turnip:

1.  Cut the greens off, but keep them around you can use them! (Turnip greens are delightful in many dishes or green smoothies. I like to use turnip greens in my lentil soup). 



2.  Peel them. Save the peelings in a freezer bag for the next time you make vegetable broth. 

3. Cut them up. 

4.  Place the turnips in boiling water for 2 minutes. 

5. Remove and blanch them, meaning put them into ice cold water. 

6. Drain, bag, and freeze. 


7. Pat yourself on the back. You just preserved a turnip. 

 

No comments: