Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Tuesday: Spaghetti with Spicy Greens and Garlic

So, the CSA box vegetable of the day~ Collard Greens!


I just love garage sales. I found a beautiful picture filled cookbook from Food Network. It looks brand new and I scored it for ten cents! I did find it on Amazon for $20. The pictures just make you want to cook!

It is a great recipe book and has been a life saver in helping me find recipes for using the goods in my CSA box.



Anyway, I found this recipe for using some of my greens and I am eager to share it.

What you need:
Kosher Salt (1 1/2 tsp) 
16 cloves of garlic 
1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil 
2 yellow onions, halved and sliced 
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
12 cups of torn greens (you can use all sorts~ mustard, kale, chard, etc) 
12 ounces spaghetti 
1/4 cup grated pecorino romano cheese (or a tad more) 

What to do:

1. Start out by putting a pot of cold water on the stove. This is for your greens and spaghetti.While it heats up lets focus on the garlic. Press it.

2. Cook the garlic in the olive oil in  large skillet. You will want to cook it until it is golden brown. When this is finished and your entire house smells like a downtown Italian eatery you know things are going well. When it is finished use a slotted spoon and remove garlic from oil. Set it aside.

3. Pour off and reserve all but 2 Tbs olive oil. Now, cook up your onions and red pepper. The recipe calls for yellow onions. I am using what I have which happens to be white onions from my CSA. Cook these for about ten minutes.  Season with salt.

4. Add the greens to boiling water. Cook them about two minutes, until tender. Take the greens out of the water and shake them a little to get the dripping water off. Add them to the onions/pepper and cook for about five minutes.My son loved tearing up the greens for me.

5. Now, using the same water you cooked your greens go ahead and boil your spaghetti. When they are finished dump all but 1/2 cup water.

6. Toss the pasta with cheese in a deep bowl. Add the greens with some of the reserved water (this is to avoid clumps) and toss. Add more water if needed to avoid those clumps.Take the garlic now and put it on top.




We ate this tasty dish with homemade garlic bread and tomato, cucumber, onion salad.




This is the book the recipe came from. Yum. I hope you can find it at a garage sale for a dime, but if not here it is!

1 comment:

amanda said...

This looks like a great vegetable pasta recipe. Looking forward to seeing the pictures!