Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Wednesday: Mojardra



The conversation began as such~

"Yes, there are onions in this dish.", I said before he even asked.

The eye brows went up. I know he hates onions, or the thought of onions.

My husband eats dishes when he does not know that their are onions, but I was unable to slip these past him. I did not try really. I am wanting the man to learn that onions are amazing, terrific, a fantastic little root that can dice up, spice up, and crunch up a dinner plate.

"But", I continued, "before you rule this out please try it. Consider that you are eating a very healthy meal, a delicious meal, and a very economical meal."

Economical caught his attention.

He took a bite. He grinned. "What is this?", he asked.

I told him....and now I will tell you.

Mojardra (Lentils and Brown Rice)

2 Tbsp Ghee or Olive Oil
1 Cup Brown Rice
1 Cup Lentils (brown or green)
1 Bay Leaf
3 3/4 cup water
2 Tbsp Sea Salt
2 Onions, sliced or cut however you can get your husband to eat them.
2 Cloves Garlic
Coriander, Cumin, Cayenne (to taste)
1 Cup of plain yogurt with a bit of fresh dill~ this is to use as a topper for the Mojardra

You are just a few steps away from Mojardra. I made the rice/lentils in the morning and then it only took me 5 minutes to put dinner together in the evening! I can get used to that.

1.  Put your ghee or olive oil into a sauce pan. Add your washed and rinsed brown rice and lentils.
Saute until nicely coated with the ghee/olive oil. It is amazing how quickly this will begin to smell amazing.
2. Add the bay leaf and the water. Simmer for 45-50 minutes or until the water has evaporated from the pot. There is no need to stir, this will disturb the natural steam holes that are created!
3. Add your sliced onions to a pan and saute in olive oil. When they have carmelized add the spices. The cumin, crushed coriander, and cayenne are fabulous in this dish. Don't skip them!
4. Mix them all together and top with the dilled yogurt if you like.

Tip~ before adding the onion/spices set aside the cooked rice and lentils. Puree for baby! 
Tip~ eat this tomorrow for lunch left overs in a pita or tortilla! 

2 comments:

Spectrum Momma said...

I'm going to try it this week. I randomly have all the ingredients, and my dill plant is huge and waiting to be used for something yummy.

Susie said...

This is pretty similar to a lentil rice dish we like. I'm glad he liked it --- even with the onions. Onions are wonderful things! In addition to being yummy, they are an important addition to my 'herbal medicine chest.' I am about to experiment with growing onions indoors. I'll let you know how that goes...!