Monday, July 19, 2010

Chocolate Milk



My husband has struggled a bit since we have made the jump into whole foods eating. He agrees that it is the best for our family. He desires his children to eat healthy, whole, nourishing food. He can wrap his head around and give full support to every little detail, from the garden to the localavore shopping to the dream of a goat farm. All, but one little detail. Eating it.

Yes, that is a pretty big deal. My husband was raised by a loving mother who cooked and baked as a way to show affection to her family. But, when little hubby did not like a meal his Momma made him something else. Thus, you now have a man who struggles eating food that he wishes he could eat. He tries and I commend him. Over the years his tastes have expanded ten fold and for that I am grateful.

He does not complain out our whole foods eating, he is proud of me, despite not really loving the food. In his mind nothing competes with artificial cheese.

I have been asked before how we work this out. How do I cook whole food meals for the world's pickiest husband?

Mostly, it has nothing to do with me. It is him making a valiant effort. Occasionally, though I leave out things in his food that I know will stop him in his tracks~ onions for example. But, I do not leave these out of the rest of the families food. He is honest with our children and will tell them, "Daddy is still learning to like onions. I really want you to like them because they are good for your body."

We have come up with an arrangement that is working for us. Sunday through Friday afternoon are our Whole Foods days. He eats what I prepare, no complaints. Friday night through Saturnday night are his food days. He can eat whatever he wants and I do not complain, in fact sometimes I join him for that Saturday morning garage saleing day doughnut with cream frosting. This is working very well for us. We are filling our bodies with incredibly nourishing foods and relaxing on the weekends, making this transition to whole foods actually a fun endevour for our family.

But, on a night I am making something I know he is not going to love so much I often prepare a little treat for him. It is amazing how this little delight encourages him to try and eat his meal.

My husband is a chocolate milk man. Chocolate milk from the store is often laden with preservatives, chemicals, hormones, corn and soy products, and syrupy refined sugars. So, I created my own and we are LOVING it.

Ingredients:
1/4 cup of organic cocoa powder
1/4 cup of unrefined cane sugar
1 tsp natural vanilla extract
Six (give or take) cups of organic whole milk

In a sauce pan place the vanilla, sugar, and cocoa. While heating on LOW, stir these together, and add a cup of milk. Stir until they blend well, melting the cocoa and sugar together nicely. Add this to the rest of the milk in a blender. Blend on high mixing it all into a frothy drink. Serve over ice.

This drink is a desert in our home, a treat. It is not particularly frugal especially since we have committed to purchasing fair trade organic chocolate and organic milk. Thus serving as a treat makes it really special and we all savor it.

There are many ways to make your own chocolate milk. If you have any others that your family uses please share with us!

~ Katie

No comments: