Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Tuesday:Pot Roast



 This is my first time using roast from the pastured cow we purchased at a local farm. I have been saving them, cooking much less meat, and enjoying the new recipes. However, this week was the perfect week for a roast. We had company so I needed something delicious, easy to prepare, and a dish that would leave us with leftovers.

Roast was the answer. I think Roast could be the answer to many questions. Roast is good.

Thanks to a lovely little video produced by the Food Network I learned a new and improved way of making roast.



Here we go:

1. Thaw your beef. I used a good piece of chuck roast from a pastured cow.
2. In a large pot place enough olive oil to cover the bottom. Begin to heat it up and then add your roast. We are going to brown the roast on both sides, letting tons of flavor to come out of the meat and really getting things cooking!

3. In the mean time, chop up carrots, onion, celery, and potatoes. Add them to the pot when the meat is nice and browned.
4. Now, add a can of diced tomatoes.

5. And some garlic.
6. And some of your favorite fresh herbs. I used parsley, thyme and a nice bit of rosemary.


7.  Now, cook with a lid on for about three hours. Beware this is going to drive your taste buds bonkers.
8.  Serve and enjoy!




And, if you are feeding a little one who is ready for this type of food you can set aside the carrots, potatoes, and a tiny bit of meat~ puree it with a bit of pastured butter and it is a taste filled meal for them!

2 comments:

Suzie said...

What temperature is your burner on while cooking the roast? It looks delicious!

Ethiopianmomma said...

Suzie,

I cooked it on medium heat. On my stove that would be about a number 4.
It was very tasty! I was so pleased.
Best wishes,

Katie