Thursday, August 12, 2010

Summer Spicy Vegetable Soup

Perhaps some soup recipes are difficult, this soup is not one of them.

It is summer. The farmer's market and garden are overflowing with vegetables.

I will tell you how I made this soup, but have fun with it. Get a big soup pot, have the kids chop up some fresh veggies, and eat this with the knowledge that it is nourishing for your body and better yet~ easy to clean up afterwords! Meaning more time to play. Gotta like that.

We chopped up summer squash, carrots, onions, okra, garlic and peppercini's. The peppers give this the kick, so don't leave them out! I sauted them in a bit of olive oil before adding the broth.

I also had two white potatoes and leftover red potatoes from a few nights ago. So, I added them into the soup. I hesitated  at first, but figured that soup was the perfect place to use up some potatoes so that they would not go to waste.

Next, I added some vegetable broth that I had in my freezer. And, several herbs.  I cooked those vegetables until the flavor had been infused throughout the broth.
Then, I added some corn.

And, I put it all in my blender.

And, blended it up.

Then, I put it back into the pot and added a bit more corn. I wanted it to have some texture.  Adding the corn at the end made it seem like a corn chowder.  Really tasty, very spicy,

This soup was incredibly frugal because I used mostly vegetables from my garden and our CSA box. I think there are many ways to change this up depending on what you have. We cleaned the blender, washed the pot, tossed the bowls into the dishwasher and headed out for a family walk. Perfect.

No comments: