Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday: Homemade Soaked Bagels

My brother came home from Ecuador. He had barely taken his shoes off from the journey and he was in the kitchen with me, sleeves rolled up, elbow deep in dough.
I love my brother.

And, bagels. Especially these bagels, warm from the oven, at midnight with my brother apparently. I missed the stuffing out of him when he was in Ecuador. Shoot, feeling sappy now.

Ok, so back to the bagels.

Here is the scoop. You can make them.
Amazing! I had no idea. Seriously!
And, they are amazing!

Call your brother....sister...friend...spouse...kiddos....dog...and get making these bagels.

1. We are going to start by soaking our grains. This reduces the phyctic acid allowing your body to absorb all the nutrients from the grain. Grains are fantastic, soaked grains are super-fantastic. Yes, I said super-fantastic and yes I am very sleep deprived right now.

So, what you will want to do is add the following to a bowl:
2 1/4 Cups of Whole Wheat (Note: I used Kamut)
1 Cups of Water
2 Tbs Kefir
You do not have to use Kefir. You could use any acid medium (cultured yogurt, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, kumbacha, buttermilk, whey). But, I am a kefir girl.

Set a plate or towel over your starter dough and let it sit on your counter 7-24 hours. Just wait for it....


Is is the next day already?

Let's get bagel making.

2. In 1/2 Cups of WARM water add 2 TBS of dry yeast and little squirt of honey. You are going to let this get really cute and puffy. It takes about 10 minutes. I like to show this to my four year old. It is science in the kitchen.

3. Now, we are going to get our hands dirty. You could probably use a mixer to knead the dough, but really this is too fun to pass up. Take your soaked flour, yeast, salt and mush it all together. Knead, adding more flour to make a nice dough, for about five minutes. The dough should not be really sticky. I noticed with using Kamut instead of whole wheat that I needed to add just a bit of wheat flour to make it not sticky. When the dough is ready placed in a bowl. This is my favorite bowl. I bought it at a market in Romania years ago. Add a little olive oil or something to keep your dough from sticking to your bowl. Let it rise until it is doubled.

Here is the dough, doubled and ready for action.
4. Punch it down. Anyone else love doing that? My brother does.Meal Planning Mommies readers meet Spencer. He is getting hitched in two months, just returned from Ecuador, graduated college this summer, and is planning on buying a sailboat to live on with his lady. And, now he can make bagels.


5. And, divide the dough into twelve balls. These make pretty darn big bagels. Next time around (no pun intented, ok maybe it was) I am going to make these smaller. Meanwhile, bring a big pot of water to a boil. Anywhere from 6-12 cups is fine.....no need to be precise. Just get a pot of water hot....

6. Using your hands make the dough balls into bagel shapes. This can get pretty silly, especially at midnight with your kid brother. Did I mention that while Spencer and I worked my husband (Jason) and soon to be sister-in-law Ashley sat at the table cracking jokes about things respectable ladies do not mention on blogs. Ok, farts. I said it.

7. Read carefully, I forgot pictures. No doubt because of the happenings previously alluded to in the above commentary ~ place the bagel shaped dough onto a cookie sheet, cover, and let rise again for another ten minutes.


8. Then, a few bagels at a time drop them into the boiling water. Give them about 45 seconds and turn them. Drain them on a wire rack.

9. Using egg white and a bit of water, brush the bagels and add toppings. We did a mixture of: sesame seed bagels, cinnamon bagels, and cheddar cheese bagels. All delicious.


10. Place them into the oven at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.


Eat at least one warm, smothered in really good cream cheese.


These are hug your brother good. See that sweater? He brought me that from Ecuador.
We took this picture over and over because my face was all hot and red from laughing so hard all night long. It also hot because I was wearing a lama wool sweater in July. Good times, great bagels.









This recipe was modified from the original which I found on Passionate Homemaking.
It is very resourceful website for momma's!

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

Those look really yummy! Cute pics too! Following your site from Bloggy Moms! Blessings, Kimberly

www.stinkerpinker.com

Andrea said...

Hi! Could you/would you please explain about kefir and what type you use or if you make your own or whatever. I've never used it before (had never heard about it before today) and would like all the help/info I can get. You can email me at pattysmom28 (at) yahoo (dot) com