Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Tuesday: Soaked Whole Grain Pancakes (Recipe Two)

This is my second recipe for soaked whole grain pancakes.

The first recipe is more complicated. It is hard to say, but I am pretty sure that I like this recipe even better. No, I do. I really like this recipe.

I have chosen to use Kamut.

Kamut is a fantastic grain.

You could use basic whole-wheat instead.

Or a nice mixture of other grains.

But, for me and these pancakes...Kamut is the way to go.

What you will need:
3 Cups of A Whole Grain such as Kamut
1 Cup of Kefir (or other acid medium)
1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
4 Eggs
3 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp baking soda
1-3 cups of freshly shredded zucchini

We are going to soak our grains before making the pancakes. This important step will help our bodies process the amazing nutrients of the grain while reducing the often difficult to tolerate gluten and phyctic acids.


Step One: 12-24 Hours before making your pancakes add the following into a big bowl.
3 Cups of A Whole Grain such as Kamut (I grind my Kamut into flour right before use.)
1 Cup of Kefir (or other acid medium)

1 Cup Water
1/4 Cup unrefined virgin coconut oil
Let this remain covered on your counter top until 12-24 hours has passed by.


Step two: Add into the starter batter
4 Eggs
3 Tsp baking powder
1 Tsp baking soda
1-3 cups of freshly shredded zucchini




This batter is very frothy and light.






















Zucchini makes pancakes sweet.























Step three: Using unrefined organic coconut oil heat up your griddle and make some pancakes!





I make a big batch of pancakes so that we have leftovers. They freeze well, but usually we do not have to freeze them. These serve as dinner, breakfast, and lunch. My son likes Kamut pancakes as the bread for his lunch sandwiches.


They are terrific with freshly sliced peaches or strawberries and just a dab of real maple syrup!

No comments: