Sunday, September 19, 2010

Our Sabbath Quest



Let me throw something out there...it is not a new idea in any way, shape or form. Really, are any ideas ever completely new? It is brand spanking right off the lot new to my mind, however, and I want to share it. It is transforming.

The Sabbath is to be a day set apart.

That's it.

I always knew that the Sabbath was to be a day of rest. And, I probably could even quote to you that the Sabbath was to be a day set apart, but to say it and grasp it are two entirely different things.

Set apart. Special. Like no other. Different. Sacred. Intentional. Observed. Experienced. Held high. Protected.  Prepared for.....

Yep, prepared for.

I have two sons. They are boys. Boys's boys. They are wild and silly, full of adventure and mud. They are also deeply tender. If my eldest boys is not pretending to be a lion while climbing a tree with a pocket full of match box cars and a dirty faced grin (and the younger following eagerly behind with high hopes) then something is not right in our day. There are still times as well. And in those still times my boys have another need, a need as deep and true as their quest to be urban knights in shining armor. It is a need for affection.
My boys will ask for snuggles. Its a word used commonly in our family.
"Snuggles." I shiver when I think that perhaps someday they will be too old and grown to ask Mommy and Daddy for that precious time when we stop, we hold, we cradle, we chat, and we fill that cup with tender affection. Sometimes snuggles take mere minutes other times much longer.

Between being mom to rambunctuous snuggling boys I have a list of other roles and responsibilities, most of them noble.

*I am striving to be an attentive and fun wife. To give my husband the best of me and not what is leftover after a long and most likely wild day. To laugh with him, communicate well as dear friends, remain a lover, and serve him because he serves us each and every day.
* I am a new homeschool mom and my mind is bubbling with curriculum and theory and planning.
* I am trying to start a prayer ministry at my church.
* I work hard each week to buy as much of our food as I can locally and cook whole foods meals because I believe this is wrapped up in creation care and it is our privilege and responsibility as Believers to tend the Garden that the Lord gifted us with.
*I am trying to a good friend.
* I am researching the start of a community garden.
*I have this blog.
*I try to keep a clean home.
*I make my own just about everything. 
*Each day I try to live intentionally, to gift my children with creation, play, reading, service, compassion, music, and work.

There is more. Some not so noble. Each night I go to bed tired. Each morning I wake tired. My list of to-do's and hopes and somedays are scattered about on note pads all through out the house.

Sunday for me has always been a day of preparation for the week. I cleaned the house. I did the meal planning. I baked our goods. I figured out the schedule. I prepared for the week.

But, recently something happened. My heart was spoken to, clearly.

The Sabbath is not a day for preparing for the week ahead. It is a day to be prepared for. 

What if our Monday's, Tuesday's, Wednesday's, Thursday's, Friday's, Saturday's could be used to prepare for our Sunday's? If your Sabbath is on a different day of the week, simply modify the above question.

If a little bit is done here and there in preparation for the Sabbath, then the Sabbath can be a day of rest, a day to do good, a day to rejuvenate the soul, a day of family worship, a day set apart.

Even today my Sunday does not look like I hope it will in the coming months. This is a new mission of my little family that will involve all of us working together towards the common goal~ to follow God's command and keep the Sabbath holy. It is our understanding that when we do this we will be blessed and have more of an opportunity to bless others. And, if preparing for the Sabbath through out the week rather than preparing for my week on the Sabbath can lead to blessing for my family and others than I feel a sense of urgency to make it happen.


Lunch today is simple. Vegetables from the garden. Sea Salt. Pepper. Butter. We made some home made pretzels last night in preparation for today. They will go along with lunch. Dinner will be eggs and toast and fresh apple cider.

We are all busy. I feel ridiculous even putting my to-do list out there.....every mom has a busy to do list. Mine is minuscule in comparison to many of yours. I know that.  However, for each of us, there is one command that transcends differences and agendas:  Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy. (Exodus 20:8)


Because our God is imaginative and immense and creative beyond expression I believe there are endless numbers of ways to keep this command. Be creative in your pursuit. Do good. Rest. Worship. Love. Set Apart. Be blessed and bless.




 ~ Katie

4 comments:

Jen said...

Thank you for provoking my soul and making me think through my convictions on having a Sabbath. Hoping you Sabbath is restful today. BLessings

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Very well said!

MommaHughes said...

The quest to be a good friend...you are that. Just thought you should know. Thanks for letting me whine to you yesterday.

supermom said...

Awesome Post. I am so happy there is another mom out there who goes to bed tired and wakes up tired. I thought I was all alone. :(.
I recently just realized that we should hold the sabbath as being very sacred. I didn't realize how important it was to just take the day off and rest. I try now to get most everything done the days before so that I can just veg with the family on Sundays. And, Ya know, I like it. I look forward to this wonderful day!