Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fiesta Sloppy Joe's on Rice



We purchase our beef through a local farm in our community. It is tasty. So much, in fact, that my hamburger loving husband announced at Ruby Tuesday's the other night that he much prefers our beef to dining out. This is a big deal.

The farm fresh, organic, pastured beef is more expensive than purchasing beef at the grocery store. It is worth the extra cost for the environmental, ethical, and nutritional aspects though in every way. However, because my beef is more costly I do something I am not used to doing with my food~ I hesitate to use it. 

If I can make a meal vegetarian and save the beef (although I do the same with my turkey and chicken) then I will save the meat for another time. I am trying to find a balance here, hang with me.

But, the good news is that when I to tend to use my beef it is for a meal that I am certain is going to be delicious. This meal, Fiesta Sloppy Joe's on Rice, is one of my favorite "serve that beef!" meals.

I orginally came across this recipe at GNOWFGLINS (God's natural, organic, whole foods, grown locally, in season). Here is the original recipe. 

2 Cups of Brown Rice
4 Cups of Water
2 Tbs Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (this is your acid medium which you will soak your rice with, lemon juice would work as well.)
1 Pound grass-fed ground beef
1 onion, diced
Garlic (2-3 cloves)
1 can tomato paste
3/4 cup water
Sea Salt
3Tbs Olive Oil
3Tbs Honey
Garnish: Red Onion, Avocado, Cheese, Sour Cream, cilantro 

In a bowl soak the rice in the 2 cups of water and raw apple cider vinegar/lemon juice for 7-24 hours. The next day, add the 2 cups water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until all liquid is absorbed and grains are fluffy and tender. Meanwhile, put the ground beef into a pot and begin to brown on medium heat. Add the diced onions and garlic, saute them with the meat. As this is browning blend together the 3/4 cup of water, tomato paste, salt, pepper, olive oil, and honey. Add the sauce to the meat and cook together for a good twenty minutes.

Put the rice into bowls and heap on the sauce. Garnish well with red onion, avocado, cilantro and sour cream/cheese. My husband eats this without the garnishes, but boy oh boy I would not dare. The garnishes add so much to this meal that I insist upon them!

Serve with some seasonal fruit like apple sauce (anyone else loving apple season now?!) and soaked whole grain cornbread.

2 comments:

Joseph's Grainery Recipes said...

Sounds like you'll be cooking more beef and eating out less often!

Sent you an email to the live.com address, not sure how else to get a hold of you. :). Shoot me an email at info at josephsgrainery.com if you get a chance. Would love to chat!

Jessie said...

This sounds really really good! I've been able to find pastured local beef at farmers markets throughout the summer and at local independent health food stores. (I don't have the freezer space to buy a quarter cow direct from a rancher.) And you are right that it tastes so much better. Same with fresh local eggs. MMMM!