Now you need:
1/4 c. maple syrup or honey
2 cups whole wheat flour
3-4 cups unbleached white flour
Step 1: Take your starter dough, add the sweetener and stir
Step 2: Stir in 2 cups whole wheat flour
Step 3: Begin to stir in the white flour. As you add the white flour, the mixture will be too difficult to stir. Knead it by hand in the bowl and continue to add white flour.
Step 4: When dough is less sticky, transfer to a floured surface (or use the dough hook on your mixer) and knead for 10-15 minutes or until dough is soft and springy- but not sticky.
Step 5: Wash and dry bowl, oil it and place kneaded dough in the bowl. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm place for 1 1/2-2 hours.
Step 6: Lightly oil 2 loaf pans then divide dough in 1/2. Punch down and shape loaves using the following directions.
- Flatten half the dough into a square on your working surface.
- Press all the air out of the dough by vigorously slapping the dough w/ the palms of both hands
- Form the flattened dough into a triangle and press down again
- Fold the 2 corners into the center and press again.
- Fold the top point into the body of the dough and press it down again.
- Pick up the dough itself and begin rolling it into itself. This stretches the outside of the dough and creates a tight roll w/ no air pockets.
- Seal the seam by flattening it w/ the heel of your hand.
- Put it into the pan seam side down.
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp butter, melted
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
Step 9: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 45-50 minutes.
Step 10: Take bread out of pan 5 minutes after cooling. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing.