Monday, December 6, 2010

Balkan Meatballs

This recipe comes from my Once a Month Cooking Cookbook, written by Mary Beth Lagerborg, Mimi Wilson. It was not one of our favorites, and we will not be doing it again. Tomorrow I will be posting one of my favorites from this book, so be sure to check back for CHICKEN PACKETS!! They are very yummy, ooo la laa. You'll see.


For Meatballs
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup seasoned croutons
3/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. Ginger
1/4 tsp. Ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp. Ground Allspice
1 pound Ground beef (I just used ground turkey)
1/2 pound Ground turkey
1 small Onion minced
(8 ounces wide egg noodles)

For White sauce:
2 Tbs. Butter
1/4 cup Flour
2 cups milk
1/2 ounce parsley for garnish

Directions:
In a medium size mixing bowl, beat egg with milk. Mix in the crushed croutons, salt, sugar, and spices. Add ground beef, turkey and onion. Mix thoroughly. Preheat oven to broil. Shape meat into meatballs the size of walnuts. Place meatballs on a rimmed cookie sheet; broil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Cool. Put meatballs in 1 - gallon freezer bag and freeze.

To prepare for serving. Thaw meatballs. Cook noodles according to package directions. At the same time prepare white sauce in a large skillet. Melt butter over low heat. Add flour stirring constantly until mixture is smooth and bubbly. (Okay, here's the part I don't get. Directions say smooth and bubbly, but if you add flour to melted butter, you get goop. Anyway, maybe this is why the recipe wasn't amazing to me...maybe I did something wrong?)

Gradually stir in milk. Heat to boiling over medium heat stirring constantly. Boil and stir one minute until smooth and thick. Add meatballs to sauce. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover pan; simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve meatballs and sauce over wide egg noodles. Chop Parsely and serve over top.

(A special thanks to my husband, who finished the last steps of this recipe and took the remaining pictures for our website. You're my sweetheart, Scott Michael Hughes, and I appreciate all your do to support me. Thank you.)





No comments: