Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Raw Food Lunch

Last year we jumped pretty much head first into the whole foods pool. There is an occasional dip back into other waters, for example today I took my kids to Chick-fil-a and ate enough waffle fries to sustain a small army. But, for the most part we are striving to eat foods that are whole. unrefined, unprocessed, and free of preservatives, fillers, coloring, and pesticides. This is a lot of work. And, just when I felt like I was getting the hang of it I stumbled (literally) over this cookbook at our library: The Complete Book of Raw Food.
After reading the very convincing fist chapter on why I should eat raw foods I wanted to curl up on the floor, order McDonalds and give up. Sometimes, just when I feel like I am finally getting the hang of things, something comes along to remind me, "girl you don't know nothing yet!"

Now, I do think there is much to be said for a raw food diet and I would bet my bottom dollar that the people writing of a raw food diets ability to heal, nourish, and sustain the body in incredibly effective ways are absolutely true. After getting up off the floor of the library, forgoing the fast food entirely, and reminding myself that baby steps are indeed acceptable I checked the book out and continued my reading at home.

Here is what I have gleaned:
1. Raw foods are plants or animal foods that are "living" and have not been heated above 115 degrees, thus not harming any of the enzymes in the food which contribute to incredibly nutritive and digestive value.
2. Raw foods can help heal and prevent digestive problems which lead to a variety of common ailments in people.
3. Raw foods help the body release toxins, improve skin conditions, and help maintain a healthy weight.
4. There are a lot of delicious recipes for a raw food diet.

Here is what I have decided:
1. After looking into some of the recipes I discovered that many of the items it takes to make the recipes (such as almonds) are pricey! So, still desiring to increase our raw food intake beyond just an apple a day I am striving to make raw food lunches for my family five out of seven days a week.

This is baby step number one. Lunch.

And, perhaps it will stop there. Perhaps, most likely, actually the greatest baby step here was simply opening my mind up to a new burst of knowledge and now I can run with it. A raw food lunch here, a raw food dressing there, a raw food desert another time.

With that said, let me give you my first raw food lunch idea. I had to use what I had, so this could be better with additional ingredients which I will suggest after the post.


Raw Lettuce Wraps, A Desperate Raw Food Invention by Katie: 


First, chop up whatever lovely vegetables you have. This would be wonderful in the summer. I had red peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchini.

Second, make a dressing. I whipped up a dressing with red wine vinegar, olive oil and nutritional yest. It was ok. Next, time I want to use a dressing from the Raw Food cook book. Did you know you can make raw ranch? raw italian? raw french?


Third, I stirred my freshly cut vegetables in the dressing and put them into a wrap using a nice crisp leaf of Romain lettuce. Next time around, I think adding more vegetables such as avocado and sprouts would be wonderful. Also, frozen uncooked corn and peas thawed lightly would add to this as well.

No comments: