Saturday, January 15, 2011

Momma Hughes is trying something new.

I always get a little chunk of money this time of year that I wouldn't normally have, because Christmas and my Birthday are back to back. Usually I try to come up with some things I think I want, and end up blowing through the money rather quickly. This year I decided that instead of using the money to buy more clothes, I would use the money to look better in the clothes I already have.

That's right. I am joining Weight Watchers. I had to do it. I have so much knowledge about what is right and wrong when it comes to eating, but all that knowledge is just not enough for me. I just don't care enough. I have had plenty of well-meaning friends offer words of advice when it came to eating. None of them motivated me. (sorry friends...and mom) I read more than enough books on the topic of eating healthy, written by very motivating people. Still not enough. (sorry books) I needed some extra tools, and the motivation to put the tools to work. I have seen a couple of dear friends go through WW program, who struggled with food at one time. I watched them lose weight and keep it off. I would think, "Hmmm...I should do what they are doing". Every time I considered joining I would get pregnant, (for real) and then have to deal with nausea and all the other stuff that comes with being pregnant, so I would give up on the idea. I am not some sort of spokesperson for Weight Watchers or anything. Nobody is paying me to make a big deal about Weight Watchers. It's just something I am getting started on, and since our blog is about what we are eating, I thought I would let you in on my journey from the very beginning. (bonus: a little extra accountability that way)
(pictured above: Meal planning mommies with dinewithoutwhine.com author. I'm the one on the right)

When it is my week to post, I will be offering some satisfying meals that are worth "low points" according to the Weight Watchers Points Plus program. I will let you know how many points those meals "use" as I do them, since I am calculating them for myself anyway. If you are doing Weight Watchers this will be helpful to you. If you are not, you can see how the meals worth 3 points are going to be a healthier choice than the ones worth 25. (some of my meals in the past have been worth more than 25 points, and I would eat two servings...also known as seconds...without thinking twice) 50 points in one meal would not be real wise in the world of Weight Watchers, since 50 points is well over how many points most people (myself included) should be consuming in an entire day. So, time to get that under control a little bit.
(picture of me and my sweet, supportive husband, Scott Hughes, on our wedding day. We just celebrated our 7 year anniversary.)

Here we go. This is the dinner line up for this week, along with the Weight Watchers Points Plus, for one serving, next to them.

Monday: Creamy Chicken-Spinach Soup, 8 pts.
Tuesday: Chicken and Mushroom Soup, 3 pts.!!

Wednesday: Pork Chops, 4 pts.

Thursday: Southwestern Meat Loaf,
8 pts.
Friday: Roasted Shrimp with Tomatoes, 6 pts.

4 comments:

Iain and Cole said...

Mealtimemakeover.com is a great resource for this. Its a meal planning website using grocery stores weekly ads (Walmart and Kroger) and provides you with meals based on your needs - Weight Watchers, vegetarian, etc. etc. I get the Walmart meal plan and a few choices this week were Spaghetti & Meatballs, Red Beans & Rice, Apple-Pecan Prok Chips, Country French Chicken & Veggies, Pizza Loaf and Island Chicken!

Abbey said...

This is AWESOME! I have been on Weight Watchers for 3 years! I lost around 40 lbs and have managed to keep it off. I love that you will be posting the points for your meals. Good luck with your goals! WW is a great program!

sherryb said...

I started weight watchers in August and have lost 23 pounds. I love learning new recipes! Thanks for this!

Leah said...

I do Weight Watchers and I am looking forward to your meals! I have a recipes tab on my blog and I try to post the points for my recipes. I have been slacking latey and need to update a lot of them. Again, looking forward to seeing your recipes and good luck!